Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vacuum lines in intake manifold

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts
Default Vacuum lines in intake manifold

As my Rover has gotten older and I have done more piddling on it I have gotten very intolerant of the little plastic parts and the hose clamps in the engine bay. Those hard plastic lines, in particular, are very fragile and seem out of place of a vehicle that was represented as tough and easy to repair. In fact (on soapbox), I would have bought a discovery I had I known That land Rover was going to weigh down the new model with electronics and plastic. I just had to have the extra cargo soace

My focus is on the two vacuum lines on the passenger side of the intake manifold. I have had trouble with the little red clip insert and the plastic barb next to it.

Following advice in the forums I replaced the plastic barb with a brass one. The other part, the one with the red ring (well, currently the red ring is gone and it is full of gasket maker), is not threaded and I have had considerable problems with that vacuum port leaking and causing engine problems. But playing with it tonight I see that the black fitting spins freely and is not threaded. It must be pressed in. Further, the opening is not the right size for any of the random brass fittings I bought at the hardware store.

Has anyone come up with a non plastic solution to that port? I know I can pay 20 dollars for another red ring, but I'm done with that.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:08 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am just teasing here and i know you are frustrated, but i feel like i am reading a post from my wife here, except she would of thrown in the words thingamajig and dodad.

The following users liked this post:
Disco#Steve (01-02-2022)
Old 01-04-2014, 08:37 AM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

my guess is you want to replace this part

Intake Manifold Brake Servo Vacuum (Genuine Part # LZN100220L) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

if this is what is giving you issues you need to replace the whole part.

however, there is a post where a guy replaced the red clip with a plastic grommet he got from radio shack and replace it.

Last edited by xxdoylexx; 01-04-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
I am just teasing here and i know you are frustrated, but i feel like i am reading a post from my wife here, except she would of thrown in the words thingamajig and dodad.
HAHA, mine would have also added: "*&%^# Money pit", "Black Hole for our savings account"

Old 01-04-2014, 01:34 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

I just put the brake vacuum hose back in without the red plastic retainer. I broke the retainer getting it out - caveman.

Never a problem with the hose just in there friction fit.

Old 01-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Camel Trophy

I noticed there is a little plastic oring in there too. Slid it over the pipe, then put some high temp rtv on it and let it dry overnight. That seems to have done the trick for temporary use. When I don't have a good seal there my engine runs like crap or not at all.

Old 01-04-2014, 07:33 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I used liquid tape. Holds well and peels off easy when you need it to.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:23 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by xxdoylexx
my guess is you want to replace this part

Intake Manifold Brake Servo Vacuum (Genuine Part # LZN100220L) - Land Rover hydraulics from Atlantic British

if this is what is giving you issues you need to replace the whole part.

however, there is a post where a guy replaced the red clip with a plastic grommet he got from radio shack and replace it.
That is indeed the part.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:25 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Phatrowles
HAHA, mine would have also added: "*&%^# Money pit", "Black Hole for our savings account"
That's what mine says too. Consequently, I work in it in the garage when she is asleep.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:26 PM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by Madlands
I used liquid tape. Holds well and peels off easy when you need it to.
Okay I've never heard of liquid tape. I'll look it up.

Quick Reply: Vacuum lines in intake manifold