Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valley Pan Gasket Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:40 PM
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valley Pan Gasket Replacement

I have been noticing a few drops of coolant periodically from the back of the engine on my 2000 Disco over the past few weeks. This morning I went outside and found a large puddle had replaced the few drops. When I start the engine, the coolant starts steadily dripping. Looks as though my lower intake gasket has finally bit the dust. I just ordered the gaskets and will be pulling out my other car for the next few days. I am going to go ahead and change the upper and lower intake gaskets as well as the valve cover gaskets.

The question I have is this: The RAVE manual seems to make the procedure more difficult than it looks like it should be. It requires that you remove a number of the accessories from the front of the engine. Is it really necessary to do so? Are there any tricks to make this job a little more simple? Is it possible to remove the intake as an assembly without separating the upper and lower pieces?

I am going to go home tonight and take a closer look at the Disco. Any advise would be appreciated. Anyone know where I can find an illustrated write up?

Old 07-03-2012, 06:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Before removing it completely, make sure both the 6 top manifold bolts as welll as the lowers are tight, if not this will cause a coolant leak from the v/p gasket. May not need to be replace just retorqued using some blue lock tite.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bgtroop
I have been noticing a few drops of coolant periodically from the back of the engine on my 2000 Disco over the past few weeks. This morning I went outside and found a large puddle had replaced the few drops. When I start the engine, the coolant starts steadily dripping. Looks as though my lower intake gasket has finally bit the dust. I just ordered the gaskets and will be pulling out my other car for the next few days. I am going to go ahead and change the upper and lower intake gaskets as well as the valve cover gaskets.

The question I have is this: The RAVE manual seems to make the procedure more difficult than it looks like it should be. It requires that you remove a number of the accessories from the front of the engine. Is it really necessary to do so? Are there any tricks to make this job a little more simple? Is it possible to remove the intake as an assembly without separating the upper and lower pieces?

I am going to go home tonight and take a closer look at the Disco. Any advise would be appreciated. Anyone know where I can find an illustrated write up?
You can always try, RAVE does go overboard sometimes with instructions. I was always looking for ways to beat flat rate before I retired, now I look for easier ways to do it (priorities change with age). Regarding splitting the intakes, the upper has to come off to access all the lower bolts and some other stuff that I can't remember at the moment.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

I second Disco Mike. Also no, you can leave the accessories i believe, you might have to take the alternator off. I found it easier to reseat intake manifold with the coolant pipe removed but i'd imagine you can get away without doing that either.

Old 07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

You first need to take off the upper intake manifold.
There are 4 bolts on the top which are obvious. 10mm socket needed.
There are two more - one in the front - in a well.
One in the back - in a well.

If you have SAI - it each SAI pipe is bolted to the right side and the left side of the upper intake manifold.

Lastly, the SAI "collar" pipe is held on by two bolts.

You also need to take off the accelerator and the cruise cables.
And, the brake vacuum cable.
And, a few vac lines.

After all that - you MAY be able to lift off the intake by carefully moving it side to side and pulling it up.
This proves very difficult.

Now you have access to the lower intake.

I probably would take off the alternator and the A/C.
Trivial.

Alternator - two bolts. Pull them out and the alternator will come right up.
Two wires on the alternator.

The A/C - 4 bolts. Then pull it up and put it in the air cleaner box to get it out of the way.

Probably use a wrench to get the intake bolts out.
They are tightened in a certain order and removed in a certain order.

Then uncouple the fuel line collar in the back.
With one hand move the collar back using the other hand to push the fuel pipe in toward the manifold. This takes tension off of the collar.

With the valley gasket, you then remove the two end plates shaped like an "S" which are bolted on with one bolt.

These have rubber gaskets on the bottom which should be replaced.
Then the valley gasket can come off.

The new valley gasket is probably metal with composite on it.
It must be bent to the specific angle to match the valley.
Line it all up.
Place the manifold back on and put the bolts back in.
You'll need a torque wrench.

Do NOT remove the fuel rail.
NO need.
Use angled wrenches to access the bolts.

OK, there you have it.

Old 07-04-2012, 07:00 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

just an FYI another 16 bolt and you can do the head gaskets and be done with it. also being a 2000 it doughful if you have SAI

Last edited by drowssap; 07-05-2012 at 06:16 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:03 AM
Drifting

I agree with Drowssap. Might as well do the heads if you are that deep.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:03 PM
6th Gear

Thanks for the info guys. I received everything from British Pacific today. Im going to try to tackle it tomorrow. I'm not going to do the HG. They were done a few years ago. Plus, the Rover is my daily driver and I need to get it back on the road ASAP. Anybody know of an illustrated write up besides the instructions in RAVE?

Old 07-06-2012, 02:11 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Pictures are 1000 words.

Flickr: Landroverdude2's Photostream

From the parking lot of my former employer, Boulder, CO.

Maybe they did not appreciate that I kept my toolbox and parts in the corner of my cube.
Oh well.

No one really paid attention that I was fixing a Rover in the lower back parking lot.

Mostly nights and weekends.

On the weekends you could watch gliders getting towed into the air from the Boulder Airport.

Old 07-06-2012, 02:34 PM
6th Gear

jfall

You are officially my hero-- for today at least.

Got another question for you and anyone else who has already done this:

Any particular RTV sealant that is better for this job?
Did you put any on the upper gasket or does it go on dry?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Valley Pan Gasket Replacement