Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Cover Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 05:00 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Cover Gasket

I just brought my 2000 Disco II in for a check up recently and the verdict was pretty good. The only problem they found was a very minor leak in my valve cover. Now they said it wasn't a big deal and I may want to wait to repair it since it is pretty labor intensive to get to it (i.e. must remove the air intake to gain access). They told me that the repair would cost me around $600. Yikes!

Does anyone out there think I should be worried, or are minor leaks just part of being a Disco owner?

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2007, 06:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: Valve Cover Gasket

Minor valve cover gaskets leaks are nuisance, but not really a threat. Check your oil regularly, and as long as it's just seepage they generally aren't a problem and you shouldn't notice a change in the way it runs. Head gasket is another story. Wouldn't let it go forever, but as long as it's not a severe leak you can wait until you have the $$ to fix it.
[align=left] [/align]

Old 05-22-2007, 06:29 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks for the assurance. I would just hate to let something that I thought was small, go... then to find out later I've done more damage. I'll keep an eye on my oil levels.

Thanks.

Old 05-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Well you just gave me a good chuckel. I love the price quotes I hear.
The intake manifold has to be loosened so it can be moved just enough to get to the valve cover bolts. I good mechanic can replace the gaskets in an hour. If they are just the typical oil seap, leave well enough alone, even if you replace them, they may start leaking again with in a year.
Mike

Old 05-22-2007, 08:13 PM
Three Wheeling

Mike, it's funny you mention the ease of replacing the valve cover gasket. My Rover Mechanic has been very reasonable historically... MUCH cheaper than the dealer. He's been very honest and helpful in the past... I hope I'm not mis-reading him.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:14 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I think the saying goes If she ain't leaking, she's empty.....

That said, mine doesn't leak...

Old 05-23-2007, 08:52 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: yarddawg

Mike, it's funny you mention the ease of replacing the valve cover gasket. My Rover Mechanic has been very reasonable historically... MUCH cheaper than the dealer. He's been very honest and helpful in the past... I hope I'm not mis-reading him.
I had a mechanic friend replace my head gaskets last week, and not having any thing else to do for a couple hours while I waited for a rental car, I hung around a talked and watched as he tore the engine down. Even with all my talking, he had the top halh of the intake manifold off in about 10 or 15 minutes, at which time if he was only going to be replacing the vc gaskets, he could have replaced them and put it back together in less then an hour.
If I didn't have a heart issue and could still do my own work, it would have taken me probably an hour and a half .
Trust me, it is an easy job, if you really need it to be done, but it sounds like your are not in need of replacement at this time.
Mike

Old 05-23-2007, 01:59 PM
Three Wheeling

Hey Mike, would you mind elaborating on doing the VC gaskets without removal of the intake manifold?

It sounds like you’re saying that it can be loosened enough tojockey it to 1) reach the bolts and 2) maneuver the covers off?

The VC’s on my 2000 (approx 130k) have slowlyprogressed from a seep to a decent leak. It’s not dripping onto the ground yet, but the block's gettingpretty messy. I’ve been blowing off the job simply because of the hassle of dealing with the intake R&R.

Thanks

Old 05-23-2007, 03:46 PM
Administrator

You need to loosen and or remove all the bolts from the intake manifold, just the top not the bottom. Once you have done that you can move the top half around or remove it, do the vc gaskets and reinstall.
Mike

Old 05-23-2007, 07:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Thanks Mike. I appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Valve Cover Gasket