Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Covers Leaking

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Valve Covers Leaking

Hey Guys,

I have a leak from the back of my v/c's. And yes, I have tightened them to 10 ft/lbs and they still leak. I tightened them Saturday and cleaned the area and took a 100 mile trip on Sunday. when I checked last night they were still leaking. About 2 years ago I had a mechanic replace them and had to take the truck back once because they started leaking again within a year. I'm using Mobil 1 10W-40 high mileage syn.

I think I will be replacing them myself, so what else should I do while I have the intake off? I already have Magnacor wires. Would like to take care of everything that I can while the intake is off. Appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks,

Old 05-19-2009, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced mine after tightening them no longer helped. I used the AB gaskets and have no leaks after about 2 months. I hear (from discoweb.org) that using the original buick 215 vc gaskets are better.

i bought the gasket kit from AB. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9218B.cfm and replaced all those gaskets in the kit. Just make sure you NEED to do the valley pan cuz if it's in good shape, and you mess up installing the new one, you'll be unhappy pulling everything apart again...

But you can buy the recommend valve cover gasket, Felpro part number #VS12993R-1 from rockauto.com for $13 and hopefully have better luck than others.

I'm also running mobil 1 10w40

Old 05-19-2009, 11:51 AM
Winching
Received 50 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jycsalas
I replaced mine after tightening them no longer helped. I used the AB gaskets and have no leaks after about 2 months. I hear (from discoweb.org) that using the original buick 215 vc gaskets are better.

i bought the gasket kit from AB. http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/9218B.cfm and replaced all those gaskets in the kit. Just make sure you NEED to do the valley pan cuz if it's in good shape, and you mess up installing the new one, you'll be unhappy pulling everything apart again...

But you can buy the recommend valve cover gasket, Felpro part number #VS12993R-1 from rockauto.com for $13 and hopefully have better luck than others.

I'm also running mobil 1 10w40
Excellent! Thank you! So how long did it take you?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator
Received 105 Likes on 12 Posts

I replaced the thermostat, belt, i painted the valve covers black, i cleaned everything i removed, replaced plugs and wires and did all the gaskets in that AB kit. PLUS replenished the coolant. I did all this while installing the CDL kit so it was down for about 2-3 weeks. I took my time since i had another car to use.

I would say if you just replace the valve cover gaskets and clean everything you remove, label bolts and nuts, then it could take about one full saturday maybe even half of sunday. just plan for two full days. after doing it once i would plan it taking me one full day on another disco but much faster on mine since i replaced all my clamps and my baby is squeaky clean. just take your time. don't plan for it to be done in one weekend, unless you plan on doing it THIS weekend since you have 3 days off, (hopefully)

=)

Some other guys may say it took them A LOT less so it really depends on your mechanical ability and how fast you work.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:17 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there guys. Just a reminder..
Replacing the Valve Covers is no easy task. But make sure you buy valve covers with the best quality since this is one sensitive engine part.

Old 08-13-2009, 07:38 AM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The Atlantic British rocker cover gaskets are working well for me so far. To remove the valve covers the upper intake manifold has to come off so you will need that gasket also. Unless your valley pan is leaking I would not remove the lower intake manifold. Removing the rocker covers are good anyways because you can see if your engine is sludged or not, if so you can decide if you need to switch to a better oil.