Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Job, OH BOY!

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valve Job, OH BOY!

So that nasty vibrations I have been getting at idle and park have not gone away after changing the plugs and wires so I forked up the dough to get it professionally checked out. Turns out after the compression test that I am in serious need of a valve job. He has quoted me at $2600 in and out the door. Does this sound right and he said probably a week or two in the shop?

Old 08-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Three Wheeling
Default RE: Valve Job, OH BOY!

how many miles are on your engine? Sometimes doing a simple compression check will not yeild a valve job since it could be your rings as well, are you occasionally blowing any smoke when you go from a stop? Did the mechanic tell you the compression on each cylinder?. Did he do a leak down test? Have you tried some seafoam yet? You might have some carbon build up causing your valves to stick and throwing in a can is only going to cost you a couple of bucks.

To answer your question, yes that is crazy to pay that much for a valve job. You can get rebuilt heads cheaper than that. I bet if you take it to a competent machine shop you can have it done for considerably less, you would of course have to take your heads off yourself but that is very easy to do. If you are not able to tackle it yourself go price some other shops to have it done if in fact it is your valves.

Old 08-30-2006, 12:25 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Year, model and mileage? What gas have you been running and do you ever decarbon your engine??
Mike

Old 08-30-2006, 12:42 PM
Three Wheeling

$2600 is way too much to pay for a valve job. For that price, you can probably rebuild the whole engine (which you will probably have to do anyway).

Old 08-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here in Northern California the going rate (P&L) for a non-Bosch injected head gasket job is around $1600 (with only a skim cut on the heads to assure flatness). For a valve job--add to that the machine shop sublet cost to refresh the heads at about $150 for the set assuming the guides, valves, and seats are in decent enough shape. But I agree with a few of the other posts here-- you need more information. I've now used the Sea Foam product (about $6 a can) and the stuff works. I would follow the instructions on the can to the letter--and try that first. A leak down test will determine if it is rings or valves, even though the old-fashioned way of doing a dry versus wet compression test will also give you a clue (engine warm--before doing the test).

Oh!-- and a "week or two" in the shop is way too long, unless this guy is so slammed ya gotta get in line. Our service shop does a head gasket job in one day!.

I have a whole head gasket kit with Head (stretch)Bolts on the site at www. eurotekapg.com for a reasonable price. If you find it is indeed the valves, and assuming you have the mechanical skills, you could save a bundle by doing this yourself. If you need more detailed info just post a request on the site.

Regards,

Mike McLaughlin
eurotek apg
Martinez, CA