Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very,very bad news!

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:14 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeThomas
The guy I bought it from said he can't reverse the sale because he spent the money. Looks like I'll be going to court soon................... [/I]
And you will win. If that's an excuse to get around your state's lemon law then everyone would do it. Personally, I wouldn't touch the vehicle. I'd get a lawyer and take him to court. He should either give you your money back or pay for all repairs.

Eric

Old 05-08-2011, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

I've never heard of a lemon law the applies to private sales, and in most states they only apply to new cars.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeThomas
This guy gets $80 an hour for labour. Is that too much?
$80 an hour is fine, and actually good if they are a Rover shop and charge per book hour.

However, at $2K quote, that's 25 hours...a tad much I believe.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:11 PM
Winching
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most states, save for Mass I think, any auto sale by a private seller is as is. The seller may not intentionally misrepresent the vehicle. If the seller offered you no warranty and did not misrepresent the vehicle at the time of sale you are wasting your time taking it to court. The fact that you admit driving it after the problem developed potentially making it worse is a nail in the coffin legally.

Your only chance of MAYBE winning a claim would be if you could prove the PO knew there was an issue and tried to cover it up to sell the car. That's fraud.

Say you find out the week before he listed it for sale it was at his mechanics shop being checked out because it was over heating and you asked him at the time of sale "any problems overheating" and he says "no never, always runs like a top"

You will still be fighting an uphill battle though.

Old 05-08-2011, 07:05 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DiscoIIBrandon
$80 an hour is fine, and actually good if they are a Rover shop and charge per book hour.

However, at $2K quote, that's 25 hours...a tad much I believe.
Yes, the timing cover, and related water pump, oil pan, and crank shaft seals, shouldn't take more than 6 hours. The $1000 quote puts it at roughly 12, so either they haven't done many of these, or are trying to take advantage.

Dave

Old 05-09-2011, 09:05 AM
Overlanding

The story ends. Turns out the seller had a change of heart. Called me today and told me he is going to refund me and fix the vehicle himself to sell at a later date. So I'm getting my money back. Thanks for all the info and help from all of you on this great site. Now what to buy for a vehicle? Not being too much of a grease monkey I don't think think I should buy another Rover. Maybe I'll go Toyota they seem to be right up there with Honda as far as reliability when it comes to buying an older used vehicle. I need something with large cargo. An suv or I would even consider a sport wagon. Just that I'm not a big fan of American cars. The problem is my price range is 5 to 6k. I like some of the older Bmw,Audi, and Mercedes wagons but in my price range they all seem to have over 150k miles. Some of the saab wagons are cool but those 1998-2004 gmc years were horrible. Any suggestions for an suv or wagon in that price range that isn't your run of the mill 1996 to 2000 Ford explorer or Jeep Cherokee? I know with older vehicles they are going to need maintanace and repair expenses thats the trade off to not having a new car payment, but I'd like to get something that will last me at least 2 to 3 or maybe even 4 years. I don't do a ton of driving maybe an estimated 12 to 15 thousand miles a year. Any thought....? Thanks.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:18 AM
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Toyota... either a pickup with a cab or a highlander.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

4Runners are pretty cheap where I live. The 3.4L V6 has more power than the Rover V8.

Old 05-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Winching
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If money is an issue, avoid the Benz and the BMW. I've had both and when they break, they will empty your wallet. If you're looking for a wagon, I'd suggest a Subaru. I've seen those with over 250kmi and they run like new. As for SUV's, get a diesel Suburban! Good luck with whatever you choose.

Eric

Old 05-09-2011, 10:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by sloppyjoe
get a second opinion just like you would if it was medical and involving a heart replacement,,,
This is medical and a heart... )`

Quick Reply: Very,very bad news!