Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibrates at Idle with Check Engine on

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 11:50 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibrates at Idle with Check Engine on

Whats up guys? Great site new user, new Rover owner.

Anyways down to business, I had my `96 Disco SE7 for about 3 months or so and about last week it started vibrating pretty noticable at park and idle, but is smooth running as soon as i get past about 10mph or so. Of course the check engine light is on and is steady. I already changed the plugs after taking it to advanced auto parts to get the code for what was going on and it read misfire (no I did not get the exact codes sorry) and he suggested new plugs. Got Bosch Platinums but only got a increase in perfromance but it still vibrates. Any suggestions? Hopefully economic suggestions! Thanks

Old 08-04-2006, 11:07 AM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts
Default RE: Vibrates at Idle with Check Engine on

How many miles on the truck, what gas do you run, how about plug wires have they been changed, have you ever decarboned the engine?
Mike

Old 08-04-2006, 11:00 PM
Drifting

Oh yeah that might help. I only use premium, about 113k, havent checked the wires not sure how to. How would I go about doing that? No I havent decarboned the engine. How would I do that? Sorry Im a little rover illiterate but thats why I signed on; to learn.

Old 08-05-2006, 12:37 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

ORIGINAL: BURover

Oh yeah that might help. I only use premium, about 113k, havent checked the wires not sure how to. How would I go about doing that? No I havent decarboned the engine. How would I do that? Sorry Im a little rover illiterate but thats why I signed on; to learn.
If you haven't changed the wires in the last 30,000 miles, make them go away, they are probably causing you some problems. One easy test would be to go out in the evening, start the engine, open the hood and see if there is any sparks from the wires to the engine.
Consider buying a set of Magnacor 8mm. wires from Rover Connection on the web, they are an exceptional wire that will last along time and carry alot mor spark to the plugs.
Go to you favorite auto part store and buy 1 qt. of any of the engine flush products, oil and a filter, one can of carb spray and 3 cans of an additive called SeaFoam and 2 feet of vaccum hose that you can connect to one of the small vaccum connections on the intake manifold. When you get everything, let me know and I'll walk you thru one good engine decarboning.
Take care,
Mike

Old 08-07-2006, 10:40 PM
1st Gear

Check your VACUUM lines coming off the Throttle body.. sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. Better yet.. check ALL of your vacuum lines.

Old 08-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Drifting
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Disco Mike

ORIGINAL: BURover

If you haven't changed the wires in the last 30,000 miles, make them go away, they are probably causing you some problems. One easy test would be to go out in the evening, start the engine, open the hood and see if there is any sparks from the wires to the engine.
Consider buying a set of Magnacor 8mm. wires from Rover Connection on the web, they are an exceptional wire that will last along time and carry alot mor spark to the plugs.
Go to you favorite auto part store and buy 1 qt. of any of the engine flush products, oil and a filter, one can of carb spray and 3 cans of an additive called SeaFoam and 2 feet of vaccum hose that you can connect to one of the small vaccum connections on the intake manifold. When you get everything, let me know and I'll walk you thru one good engine decarboning.
Take care,
Mike
I'm going to second the wires thought. My truck was idling rough and new wires fixed it. The magnacor wires are nice and if you're going to go through the hassle of changing them you might as well do it right.