Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Violent shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds!!!! SCARY!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Violent shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds!!!! SCARY!!

It seems that at certain speeds the entire Disco shakes violently like its going to fall apart. I noticed it alot today especially at 45-55 mph and driving on the highway. I know I need new tires bad but is that the only problem? I don't have the funds right now for 5 new tires (the spare is worse one). What to do?

Old 05-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you get your U-Joints taken care of??

Old 05-06-2009, 10:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, first of all check those old tires, if the fibers and/or steel wires broke some where you don't have a round tire anymore. That would explain the shacking. If that is the case, let us know, I am sure someone here not too far from you can come up with a tire for you.

Old 05-07-2009, 12:52 AM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My disco had a pretty bad shake @ 50mph when I got it because the tires needed to be balanced. You could of just thrown a wheel weight and need yours re-balanced. If it is shaking so bad it is hard to hold on the road then you might have another problem and shouldn't drive it until it's fixed. good luck.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

What year and how many miles on it?
If it is a D2, have you already had the front drive shaft rebuilt to correct the greaseless u-joint issue?
If it is a D2, stop driving it right now till we can give you more help, you can loose your tranny with this issue.
Send me your tele number if you want some help, I'll call you.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have enough tread left you can get them balanced to see if that clears up the problem (assuming your u-jount are good). If you don't have enough tread get some new tyres and have the shop keep the best and put it on your spare.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:50 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

may check your steering stabilizer, it is the shock that runs side to side near the front lower of the engine, if this is bad it will cause some violent shaking at those speeds.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rover Chris
may check your steering stabilizer, it is the shock that runs side to side near the front lower of the engine, if this is bad it will cause some violent shaking at those speeds.
The steering stabilizer will not cause shaking, it is designed to minimize shaking cause by something else, and if it is the original stabilizer it should be replace with an Old Man Emu along with whatever repair that is causing the shakes.

Old 05-07-2009, 10:48 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree Mike that it would be caused by something else I am just thinking that if his tires are worn and out of balance long enough to finish that stabilizer off it may make the shaking worse, I had a Cherokee that had the famous "Jeep death wobble" and after I replaced the stabilizer it went away. But yes you are right it wouldn't be the initial cause.

Old 05-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Administrator

Any more, the trouble with trying to balance a set of pretty old warn tires is most tire store won't touch them per the liabaility of balancing them and a later blow out.

Quick Reply: Violent shaking of the steering wheel at high speeds!!!! SCARY!!