Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

viscous fan stuck

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2012, 06:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default viscous fan stuck

First I tried making a wrench but my material was too thin so it bent. Bought a $24 kit from Advance and have the 36mm. I've bent a screwdriver and what I tought was an extremely strong 5/8" bar (actually, a long drill bit) between the pulley bolts. Finally gave up and just soaked it down with PB blaster to sit overnight.

Anybody ever take a torch to one of these to try and break it free? I may try heating it tomorrow if the PB has not done the trick.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Do you mean taking the fan off the water pump? If so, it was a real PITA the first time around. Here is what I did:
Got a cheap adjustable crescent wrench (the kind with the thumb adjustment). Got it to the size of the nut and put duct tape over the adjuster so it wouldn't move while getting in there.
Stuffed a few rags into the belts the opposite way it would go while trying to get it off.
Used a long 10mm closed ended wrench to hold the pulley (all pictured below). Had a friend hold the 10mm wrench, and I gave the adjustable a good whack with a rubber mallet and it was all set.
The 2nd time I did it, I was able to do it myself without the mallet. Took me a solid 1.5 hours of messing with it to finally figure out the only way it would happen was by holding that bolt on the pulley.
Pictures:
Tools used for the fan/fan clutch job
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTA3LTAwMTQxLmpwZw.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  134.7 KB

How I did it:
Name:  utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTExMTA3LTAwMTM4LmpwZw-1.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  197.8 KB

Old 01-14-2012, 09:48 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I ended up removing water pump with fan attached, then welded the water pump shaft to the pump housing. Just clamped the whole thing to a bench and put a 4ft pipe on a adjustable wrench and popped it loose. This was after spending hours trying to get it loose while still in the truck. Remember , it's counter clockwise to loosen, I originally thought it was backwards based on the engine rotation.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I've taken mine off dozens of times because I'm wierd and like to try various projects. Just get the wrench or pump pliers on it, and whack them hard and sharp, toward the passenger side. It is the speed of the wrist, not the bulk of the body, that breaks this guy loose.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:59 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Savannah Buzz
I've taken mine off dozens of times because I'm wierd and like to try various projects. Just get the wrench or pump pliers on it, and whack them hard and sharp, toward the passenger side. It is the speed of the wrist, not the bulk of the body, that breaks this guy loose.
2nd time for sure. 1st time around no matter how speedy my wrist was, there was no breaking it loose while the belt slipped!

Old 01-15-2012, 07:42 AM
Drifting

Snafu, your method is exactly what I had decided to do while laying awake thinking about this last night. However, I guess if I bust the head off that bolt I'll really be screwed

Gonna give it a try later this morning and will report back.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:54 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Texarican
Snafu, your method is exactly what I had decided to do while laying awake thinking about this last night. However, I guess if I bust the head off that bolt I'll really be screwed

Gonna give it a try later this morning and will report back.
Good point. Let me put the disclaimer in that I take no responsibility! Also, check the size, the 10mm is out of memory. The wrench will be tight while getting down there, but once there it is good. If you have a bar you could put over the end for leverage it is good, if not just have good aim with the hammer! Also, take the plastic belt cover off for added clearance. Make sure that you are hitting it the right way too. Standing at the front, you are hitting to the passenger side.

Old 01-15-2012, 07:58 AM
Drifting

Originally Posted by Snafu / Disco Fries
Good point. Let me put the disclaimer in that I take no responsibility! Also, check the size, the 10mm is out of memory. The wrench will be tight while getting down there, but once there it is good. If you have a bar you could put over the end for leverage it is good, if not just have good aim with the hammer! Also, take the plastic belt cover off for added clearance. Make sure that you are hitting it the right way too. Standing at the front, you are hitting to the passenger side.
Well, I'll be doing it with the dedicated fan wrench I bought rather than the crescent. It's plenty long so I should not need a bar. I gave it a couple of whacks yesterday but I just did not have good leverage the other direction with the screwdriver wedge setup. Just have to find a neighbor outside today for an extra set of hands. Hopefully I can get somebody before the Texans play. Maybe somebody else is skipping church today too

Old 01-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Recovery Vehicle

Originally Posted by Texarican
Well, I'll be doing it with the dedicated fan wrench I bought rather than the crescent. It's plenty long so I should not need a bar. I gave it a couple of whacks yesterday but I just did not have good leverage the other direction with the screwdriver wedge setup. Just have to find a neighbor outside today for an extra set of hands. Hopefully I can get somebody before the Texans play. Maybe somebody else is skipping church today too
Depending on how long your 10mm is, it could rest on something so you don't need another set of hands. I think there was something easy, but I had a friend there so didn't need it.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

I have had to pull up on the belt while doing this, there are also strap wrenches that can be used to cinch down the a pulley and restrict the belt, or a c clamp on the pulley with a rag to prevent gouges to the pulley. Without the belt on, it will be mucho more difficult.

Quick Reply: viscous fan stuck