Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wacked out sound coming from passenger front wheel

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2015, 02:55 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wacked out sound coming from passenger front wheel

2003 Land Rover Discovery.

Funny sound coming from the front wheel only when I step on the gas. Coming from the front. Sounds faster at higher speeds when accelerating not as bad when coasting speeds. Not a grinding chunking sound. Not a bumping or crunching sound either. More like a steady constant rubbing sound when accelerating. Louder when accelerating harder. No sound when braking. Not louder when turning either direction. Sound whether engine is warm or cold. No major front end accidents ever. No branches, hanging fairings, or trim, or debris noticed. No leaks on floor.

I replaced the front drive shaft and lubricated it last weekend. I added made sure the engine oil was at recommended levels too.

Wha's is it?

Old 12-05-2015, 08:31 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

If the sound stops when you apply the brakes, I would check the brakes on that side. It's possible that a pad isn't retracting completely causing the rubbing sound.

Old 12-06-2015, 12:15 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Could be a CV joint, but it probably has to do with that new shaft. It might not be balanced properly. But it could also very well be a brake caliper issue like lordmorpheus had suggested. If it were me, I would take your drive shaft to a shop to get it balanced, then go from there.

Last edited by DiscoCam; 12-06-2015 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-06-2015, 09:12 AM
Three Wheeling

I forgot to mention, the front driveshaft was replaced last year. No problems. Regreased last week. I raised the front wheels off the ground and the wheels spin smoothly. I wiggled the front wheels side to side and there's no extraordinary play. I went through all the gears. I hear squeaking in H and L 1-2-3-D but not in R but it could be that I wasn't going fast enough in R.

Could it take 1 year for a new unbalanced drive shaft to reveal this issue?

Could it be the front transfer box or front differential low on fluid?

Also, this is my wife's car. No off roading. Grocery getter. Few family day trips on smooth highways.

Old 12-07-2015, 11:25 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Not very common, but it is possible for the drive shaft to get unbalanced after a year; maybe one of the weights fell off. Check the shaft to see if any weights fell off; look for an unpainted rectangle spot on the shaft, or glue residue. I can't think of any other way for it to get out of balance.

Personally, I've never heard of a diff or T case making noise, except if it is empty or if the fluid is very old. If it has been more than 25-30k miles since you changed the fluids, that could be the cause.
Good Luck.

Old 12-08-2015, 06:47 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 99 Likes on 92 Posts

Hung caliper.
Drive shaft.
Wheel bearing.
Rock stuck between backing plate and rotor.

pick one....

Old 12-08-2015, 08:38 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Also, check where your driveshaft is closest to the catalytic converter. Is it rubbing? Should be easy to spot if it is. Mine did that only on acceleration.

The following users liked this post:
krammark (12-10-2015)
Old 12-09-2015, 09:37 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 245 Likes on 230 Posts

Did you figure it out?

Passenger footwell area is also where an exhaust flange is... Mine disintegrated and I got an odd sound there.

Old 12-10-2015, 06:48 AM
Three Wheeling
Default Thank you for your ideas and suggestions

I ordered a front wheel hub. I'm going to install it as soon as it arrives. While I'm under the truck, I will check proximity of the exhaust components. I did that last time, but I'll check again. Will let you know what I find.

Old 12-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Three Wheeling
Default It's not the passenger side hub, or stuck caliper, or CV joint

So today I replaced the passenger side front hub. The old hub was fine. The CV joint felt ok. It spun and articulated in my hands but I don't know whether there would be an issue at higher rotational speeds. The calipers were fine not stuck.

The front driveshaft counterweights are still attached. There's no rubbing against the catalytic converter.

The rubbing whining sound is still there. My next effort will be the driver side hub, CV, and brake caliper.

Quick Reply: Wacked out sound coming from passenger front wheel