Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wandering steering from left to right, started after new parts and tires

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 12:58 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wandering steering from left to right, started after new parts and tires

I'm having some issues tracking down why I'm having the wandering to left or right when driving down the road. It's a 2000 D2 with 130k, new toyo AT2 tires (what I had on there previously), new rovers north HD track and drag link setup, new ball joints, new ome nitrocharger shocks front and rear + steering damper.
I've had it aligned twice, tried adjusting the steering play on the steering box, but you have to continuously adjust the steering while driving.

The rover goes from left to right, and you have to constantly adjust. There is some play in the steering, the shop that aligned it the second time said I had tightened the steering up a hair to much and that the alignment was hardly off.

It was not like this before I just did all this.

I had it at the Indy shop a few weeks ago for something else and mechanic said it drove just fine and steering play is good (so you don't over react and turn to sharp/quickly and roll over), but it's not anywhere near the same, and since wife drives it regularly she says the same thing, you really have to work to drive it....

Any thoughts?
Is there something else I should be checking?
I didn't replace the front springs as I thought I might do the 2in lift but haven't had time or funds to mess with it, I'm wondering if that could be an issue? It's air in the rear, which I like!

Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I were in your situation, I'd start by checking the torque on all the bolts that were recently disturbed. Anyone can make a mistake and forget to tighten one up properly...

Old 03-16-2014, 10:33 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I see everything new except the springs... Factory springs start crapping by 100k.

All the upgrades could be meaningless if your springs are shot.

Old 03-17-2014, 07:02 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Just a thought : They can be the same model tire but with a different load rating. When we bought our Disco it came with a set of winter tires that had a lower load rating and the truck behaved like what you are describing. Took me some time to sort it out.

Old 03-17-2014, 10:45 AM
Three Wheeling
Default thanks and other thoughts on the issue

Thanks for the thoughts on the issue, I did some searching on the issue via google.

I've found that:
-worn bushings- could be suspect, i.e. panhard rod, rear trailing arms, etc and polybushings are possibly a good way to go. This guy said it fixed his wandering and improved the ride (Land Rover Owner • View topic - Wandering Disco).
(longer life than rubber, easier to replace in future; however I recall my past experience with replacing bushings with poly was brutal when working on my Nissan 4wd truck years ago due to having to burn out the old rubber bushing from being stuck or 'welded' in)

-steering box is worn out- I cannot find the post on this, but the thread talked about after replacing tie rods, ball joints, shocks, tires, etc, the only thing that solved it was replacing the steering box.

Any thoughts on these above?
Anyone with experience with repairing and replacing bushing with poly bushing want to chime in?

Old 03-19-2014, 06:40 PM
Mudding

I have the exact same problem! I can't figure it out either.

Old 03-19-2014, 08:12 PM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

It could be a multitude of reasons. Start by retracing your steps with the mods. Check out your tyres pressures allround. The play in the steering may be the steering box needs adjusting (5 minute job) and new tyres pick up on that better than old. Or, the bushing in the Panhard or radius arms probably needs replacing. Don't rule out the rear of the truck also, you can achieve rear wheel steer wandering as much as front end. Every little bit of play and worn flexibility in the suspension and steering gear will come together to compound any wandering problems. It needs a step by step logical elimination of the possibilities and probabilities but don't make the mistake of just throwing cash at the first thing you find.

Old 03-20-2014, 06:52 AM
6th Gear

Mine has started doing this over the last 5k mi. Nobody else that drives it seems to notice, so maybe I'm just more in tune with the truck. Just now starting to get annoyed enough that I'm starting to track it down.

I had a BMW a few years back that did this too. I never did find the problem after literally replacing the whole suspension (including going to M3 control arms and all Poly bushings) I ended up selling the thing. Two years later I still wish that I kept it, as it was the most fun car I have ever owned even with it's quirky suspension.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Another thought on this, sometimes when you drive in the nearside lane, the truck lane, there are ruts made by continuous use by heavy trucks and these ruts pull you from side to side, it can be unnerving. Cars don't experience it much as they aren't as wide or heavy as a 4x4.

Old 03-20-2014, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator
Received 1,464 Likes on 1,195 Posts

This one will sound crazy but it was the solution for me on the 110 with the same symptoms.

Make sure your power steering fluid is properly topped up. Mine has a few leaks and when it gets just a touch low the steering gets real touchy and requires constant corrections.

Quick Reply: Wandering steering from left to right, started after new parts and tires