Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to keep ride height but soften the ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 09:34 AM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Wanting to keep ride height but soften the ride

I have OME HD springs with OME nitro charger shocks. The ride off road is jarring and not enjoyable. Looking to keep the ride hight with heavy steel ARB bumper and arb sidesteps. What component is mostly responsible for the stiff ride? Springs? Shocks? Or a little of both?

any company make a progressive spring that give a smoother ride but will keep the height with a load?

not looking for a 70’s Cadillac ride but pot holes on a forest road feel like the axles are mounted to the frame by 2X4’s

Last edited by Micmac; 01-10-2021 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 10:34 AM
Received 1,148 Likes on 794 Posts

The OME HD's will ride hard, a couple of questions
  • Do you currently have the bumper and steps mounted
  • Is your Disco loaded or empty
  • Do you air down and if so to what
  • How fast are you going
All those things relate to a harsher ride so empty, street PSI in the tires, higher speeds, no bumper or steps yes you will have a harsher ride. The best you can do slow down and air down it really does help I run 18-20 PSI off road.

Old 01-07-2021, 10:48 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
The OME HD's will ride hard, a couple of questions
  • Do you currently have the bumper and steps mounted
  • Is your Disco loaded or empty
  • Do you air down and if so to what
  • How fast are you going
All those things relate to a harsher ride so empty, street PSI in the tires, higher speeds, no bumper or steps yes you will have a harsher ride. The best you can do slow down and air down it really does help I run 18-20 PSI off road.
yes all items are installed. Airing down would be one option and not traveling faster than 10 miles per hour. I would really like to improve the ride without having to air down though

Old 01-07-2021, 10:57 AM

Airing down makes a huge difference, I normally run 38 psi street that is brutal off road MD springs and OME nitro chargers. Dropping to 20-18 makes the ride much better and I run 20 to 30 MPH depending on the road conditions.

Old 01-07-2021, 11:17 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

I had that experience with my non weighted down truck on new MD OME springs and Nitrocharger shocks. Super hard ride off road tires in mid 30’s PSI.

Finally I decided to try different shocks and went with the Terrafirma standard length. For me that made a huge difference. I’m not saying it was like air bags but it was a magic carpet ride compared to the OME shocks. A huge improvement.

I was surprised as the TF’s are much cheaper but are apparently more suited to the situation at hand.

Just my two cents.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 11:31 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
I had that experience with my non weighted down truck on new MD OME springs and Nitrocharger shocks. Super hard ride off road tires in mid 30’s PSI.

Finally I decided to try different shocks and went with the Terrafirma standard length. For me that made a huge difference. I’m not saying it was like air bags but it was a magic carpet ride compared to the OME shocks. A huge improvement.

I was surprised as the TF’s are much cheaper but are apparently more suited to the situation at hand.

Just my two cents.
Thanks guys! Circling back, what Is the predominant reason for a harsh ride? Shocks or springs?

Old 01-07-2021, 12:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

You have HD springs meant to handle extra weight. Only way to really keep a decent ride & height would be to install some MD springs and then a 1inch spacer under the coil perches. That will get you a MD ride quality with the same amount of lift. I personally run MD springs on all but 1 of my D2's then I have 1inch aluminum spacers under the spring perches. HD is NEVER going to ride worth a darn unless you have the extra weight on your LR which is what the HD springs were rated for.

The following 3 users liked this post by Best4x4:
cvhyatt (01-19-2021), JUKE179r (01-08-2021), Richard Gallant (01-07-2021)
Old 01-07-2021, 12:10 PM

@Micmac It is really a combination which is the problem but sort of in order (as I understand it):
  • Shocks
  • Springs
  • Tire pressure
  • Load
Shocks smooth the transitions as your axles change positions due to road conditions, they work in combination with the springs which support the weight and keep the vehicle level (ish) as the axles move with road conditions. In the most simplistic explanation the shocks help slow the springs action to smooth the ride.
Spring support the weight on the axels to keep the body stable, too light a spring and you roll all over the place too hard a spring and the body roll is restricted but it become more and more like having no springs so you end up with no flex which as you can imagine makes the ride brutal
Tire pressure is important as too low makes vehicle stability at hi-way speed bad and accelerates tire wear as well as generating excessive heat. Too hard and you it becomes like running sold tires. The correct tire pressure helps absorb some of the road way imperfections

The following 2 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
JUKE179r (01-08-2021), Micmac (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 04:50 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Micmac It is really a combination which is the problem but sort of in order (as I understand it):
  • Shocks
  • Springs
  • Tire pressure
  • Load
Shocks smooth the transitions as your axles change positions due to road conditions, they work in combination with the springs which support the weight and keep the vehicle level (ish) as the axles move with road conditions. In the most simplistic explanation the shocks help slow the springs action to smooth the ride.
Spring support the weight on the axels to keep the body stable, too light a spring and you roll all over the place too hard a spring and the body roll is restricted but it become more and more like having no springs so you end up with no flex which as you can imagine makes the ride brutal
Tire pressure is important as too low makes vehicle stability at hi-way speed bad and accelerates tire wear as well as generating excessive heat. Too hard and you it becomes like running sold tires. The correct tire pressure helps absorb some of the road way imperfections

Thank you! All good info

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 06:20 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Yeah, even with the TF suspension, I was a bit surprised how rough the ride is off road. I don't really understand why it needs to be so firm when it seems like off road you want a little bit of flex and give. I was also looking for softer suspension but couldn't really find too much. I wonder how the desert runner type trucks that go fast off road have it setup?

Quick Reply: Wanting to keep ride height but soften the ride