Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wanting to keep ride height but soften the ride

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2021, 11:31 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Many people confuse the HD designation to mean robust and beefy, but in actuality it is referring to load carrying capacity. Thus a lot of guys will just get HD because Heavy Duty equates to tough in their mind. While that may be true the reality is still HD is meant for heavy loads, any lesser load will be a jarringly rough ride.

Old 01-09-2021, 07:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yep like I said before MD/HD coil springs will have a different load/spring rate vs OEM factory springs. MD is meant for vehicles with F/R bumpers, and a winch, without any of those the vehicle will ride higher than 2inch and the ride will be awful. Same for a HD rated spring. It's meant for F/R bumpers, a winch, a roof rack, and all the extra weight due to cargo, a roof top tent, or whatever your payload is, without any of that you could see 3inch lift, and a ride from hell.

That's why I do MD springs for my bumpers, winch, and recovery gear. I don't HD, but I did want the 3inch of lift so I added 1inch aluminum spacers. Best of both worlds I get the height and the ride I want.

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:19 PM
Mudding
Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Best4x4
Yep like I said before MD/HD coil springs will have a different load/spring rate vs OEM factory springs. MD is meant for vehicles with F/R bumpers, and a winch, without any of those the vehicle will ride higher than 2inch and the ride will be awful. Same for a HD rated spring. It's meant for F/R bumpers, a winch, a roof rack, and all the extra weight due to cargo, a roof top tent, or whatever your payload is, without any of that you could see 3inch lift, and a ride from hell.

That's why I do MD springs for my bumpers, winch, and recovery gear. I don't HD, but I did want the 3inch of lift so I added 1inch aluminum spacers. Best of both worlds I get the height and the ride I want.

I can attest to OME HD springs with ARB bumper and winch still has a bone ratting ride. I may switch up shocks first up from if no improvement get MD springs and 1” spacers up front. The ride for the rear doesn’t seem that bad.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:55 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 390 Likes on 317 Posts

Get some Bilstein shocks. I've had them on two vehicles, truck and my first D1 and they rode very well.

Old 01-10-2021, 10:52 AM
TReK

FWIW, unless you are talking about the remote reservoir type... Bilsteins are not worth the extra $100 per corner.

I ran two sets of Bilsteins before I knew better... They ride about the same as OME Nitrochargers and in my experience wear out sooner. I think there must be a reason they are not marketed specifically for Rovers.

I have found when it comes to shocks, the most expensive is not always the best.

Old 01-10-2021, 11:57 AM
Mudding

Originally Posted by Dave03S
FWIW, unless you are talking about the remote reservoir type... Bilsteins are not worth the extra $100 per corner.

I ran two sets of Bilsteins before I knew better... They ride about the same as OME Nitrochargers and in my experience wear out sooner. I think there must be a reason they are not marketed specifically for Rovers.

I have found when it comes to shocks, the most expensive is not always the best.
what shocks did you find worked well for you?

Old 01-10-2021, 12:29 PM
TReK

The standard length TerraFirma shocks, which oddly, are cheaper than both the OME and the Bilstein. And I've run all three brands in my 200k miles of ownership.

The first time I went off pavement I noticed the difference. The TF's actually dampened the ride rather than reinforcing the stiffness of the springs.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:30 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,272 Likes on 1,676 Posts

Yep I've had zero issues with TF shocks. I like the ride quality of all 3 of my D2's on/off road and two of them are running TF shocks.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 772 Likes on 508 Posts

Been happy with my +3" adjustable TF shocks and the Fox shocks on my other rover are a bit harsh (no bumpers or armor and rarely loaded down but rides fantastic with some weight in it). I am picking up a pair of 10" 7100 remote resi from a buddy next week that I'll put in the white rover (probably the rear, I have a dream of 3 linking the front and running much larger front shocks this winter/spring).

Old 01-10-2021, 05:11 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by whowa004
Been happy with my +3" adjustable TF shocks and the Fox shocks on my other rover are a bit harsh (no bumpers or armor and rarely loaded down but rides fantastic with some weight in it). I am picking up a pair of 10" 7100 remote resi from a buddy next week that I'll put in the white rover (probably the rear, I have a dream of 3 linking the front and running much larger front shocks this winter/spring).

Not knowing anything about shock sizes other than using the drop down menus for the make and model. What size shock should I look for with OME Hd springs and some Wt up front. Guessing it results in about a 2” lift

Quick Reply: Wanting to keep ride height but soften the ride