Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Warning Lights - ABS - TC - DH Assist

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 08:35 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warning Lights - ABS - TC - DH Assist

1999 Disco II
73k miles

I just bought this Disco and everything was stellar on the ride home. About a week later I started her up and got three warning lights. ABS, TC and the DownHill Assist light lit up. Got the three "ding" alert sound as well. I drove it around the block and then parked it again. The next day the lights were off. They came back on later that evening. It happens mostly when I start the Disco, but sometimes it happens 10-15 minutes after driving.

I contacted the previous owner (dealer) who claims he has owned over 25 LR's in the past 10 years. He buys and resells apparently. So I asked him what was up with it and he said; "Yeah I took that Disco down to a LR certified shop and had them hook it up to a code reader. They said nothing was wrong with it." He then went on to say and I qoute: "This is nothing to worry about. It might happen till the computer has a full reset. Also, this will happen if the alarm is not turned on/off correctly."

I haven't noticed a difference in brakes or anything and after reading through the forums, I realize this could probably be several problems. I did notice that when I hit the "lock" button on the key to lock the doors, the horn rarely honks. Actually it's honked 3 times in 3 weeks. I push the lock button twice every time (per the manual's advice to set the alarm) So I guess I'm looking for any and all input. This is my first LR, so my troubleshooting capabilities are weak to say the least. Could this really be an alarm issue? And what's up with "computer has a full reset"?

Thanks everyone for all your help. This forum rocks.

-Wes

Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Warning Lights - ABS - TC - DH Assist

Search the tree amigo's on here and you will find more. Might be a dirty wheel sensor or squeaky pads. I think what he told you was total bs. Not sure on th alarm, I have a D1, but others will chime in.

PS, you get extra points for putting your year and mileage..

Old 08-16-2007, 08:56 PM
Mudding

Yes, my brakes are super squeaky. The previous owner claims he put new brake pads on just before I purchased. I have not noticed excess dust on the wheels, but could there be dust on a sensor that could cause this?

-W

Old 08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

probably the squeaky brakes. Each one of your wheels has a speed sensor. The squeaking vibrations will trigger the sensor, thus causing the lights. You can have the ECU read by a rover shop only to find out what codes it is throwing. Ask the dealer that sold you the car what the exact codes are.

You can get some anti squeal spray to put on the back of you ads to stop it. You have to pull the pads out and spray it on, though.sorry, had to say that just in case you tried spraying it on through your wheel...

Go to rover-renovations.com search for the Rave CD and have them send you one. It is free and has the workshop manual in it.

How long have you had the truck?

Old 08-16-2007, 09:41 PM
Mudding

LOL. Yeah I assumed you would spray it on the back of the pad itself. I drove a crappy Explorer for years. I replaced just about every part imaginable on it myself. The Disco is somewhat different, mechanically than my old 'sploder.

I've had the Disco for 3 weeks now. I've read about the Rave CD, but wasn't 100% sure what it was all about. It's free? Wait a tick..something LR related that's FREE? Something's amiss.

-W

Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 AM
Drifting

I have a disco II and when i set the alarm the horn only sounds when a door or hood isnt shut all the way, so i dont think the horn is supposed to soundbut i could be mistaken

Old 08-17-2007, 09:03 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Wes,
If you want to give me a call, I'll be glad to walk you thru whats going on with your truck and what you can do about it.
Mike
303-862-7680
Colorado

Old 08-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Mudding

DiscoMike,

Thank you for the offer, I wish I would have read that earlier today. Is it ok to call you later today? I'm an east coaster. Let me know what time works for you after you get off work. Thanks a lot Mike.

-W

Old 08-17-2007, 12:14 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Any time, I'll be home till 8 pm this evening or most of the weekend.