Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2008, 08:38 PM
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default warranty

My 04 d2's warranty runs out in November 08. It has 39000 miles on it. Is there something that I should put in the shop for before the warranty runs out?? It runs fine but thought i would ask to see if there is something I should know about that could give me problems down the road that would be covered under the original LR warranty.

Thanks,

Bub

Old 09-03-2008, 08:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: warranty

There are two things that you need to do to prevent spending big money out of warrenty.
1. Flush the cooling system every 3 years or 45,000 miles. Whichever is sooner. It even says this in yoiur owners manual.
2. Flush the brake fluid every 2 years reguardless of miles.
3. Have your front drivesahft rebuilt using greasable u-joints. This is a one time deal as long as the rebuilt driveshaft is greased at every oil change.

The first one will save you fromneeding new head gaskets.
The second will save you from needing a new ABS pump.
The third will save you from needing a new transmission.
Of course non of these are a guarantee, it is a car and things do break no matter what you do, but they will greatly increase your odds.
EDIT: You MUST use premium gas, if you dont you will loose MPG and need tune ups sooner than later.
AND it is required per Land Rover.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Spike,

What's the procedure you use to flush the cooling system? Just drain and refill? Or are you using an additive to flush?

Jason

04 Disco

Old 09-04-2008, 12:35 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This is howI flush the cooling system.
I unhook the lowerradiator hose from the radiator and the upper hose from the engine. I then remove the thermostat. I stick my garden hose into the top of the engine and run it until it comes out clean. Then I do the same to the radiator by sticking the hose into the upper radiator hose and letting it come out the bottom of the radiator.
Then I put it all back together and fill it with water. Drive it for a couple of miles making sure to use the heater, let it cool and drain the water out, refill with new coolant.
I also install a new thermostat with the new coolant and when I drive it with just water I leave the thermostat out of the truck. It runs cold but it is only for 15-20 minutes.
That is how I do it, no it in not the proper way, but that is my way.
I have always done it this way and never once had a problem.