Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

certified warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2005, 01:56 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default certified warranty?

I have owned two discovery's 96 and 00. Both engines failed. The cylinder walls separated from the block on the series I at 93k and the series II at 63k. The 96 was diagnosed (check engine light and stuttering misfire) by the dealer and traded in for a "certified" series II.

Just this Sunday without a warning light or engine trouble just missing antifreeze which I noticed by the temperature gauge slightly higher than normal - it never overheated. Concerned I had it taken to the dealer Landrover Milford, CT who diagnosed it with the cylinder walls failing. I bought the car with 40k drove it normal from Nov 03 April 05- 63k miles on the motor always maintianed by the same dealer who sold me the vehicle Landrover Milford, CT (who mysteriously has no records of anything other than warranty work!) and has given me a qoute to fix the motor (replace it) for ~$7500.

I was told if I bought a certified car it would protected, safe, and is "gently used" and broken in and most important has gone through a 140 point check list. I purchased the "certified 00" truck with 40k and had it serviced, it's know broken and of course... NO certified warranty - it expired at 62k! What a business Landrover has! Two cars same problem where is Landrover? Called the "1 800" number who basic told me "tough!"

Maybe we should tape all conversations, get everything in writing, and don't use Landrover dealer service. Each time the car was brought in for service or warranty it appears to be "verbal" they have NO accurate records. The dealership is BLAMING ME for the engine failure - claiming there is no service "oil changes" they have on record. I wouldn't think a dealership would take on such a position as to call their clients a liar! I have to contact my credit accounts, checking (and forget about cash) for a print out from the service visits! What kind of dealer and business blames YOU for a bad motor? LANDROVER!

Old 05-05-2005, 03:27 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: certified warranty?

why didnt you change your oil?

Old 05-05-2005, 12:39 PM
4wd Low

I did every 3-3500 as well as the dealer (two separate times along with other warranty work)
I also changed the anti-freeze as well as regular maintaince items. The truck was running great no warning signs. As far as mechanical work I have "maintained cars" my whole driving life including BMW's, agricultural diesel tracters, motorcyles, etc with no problems.

The issue with doing the work yourself is Landrover WILL NOT honor it. That "lack of dealership maintance" is what happened to my 96 discovery with 93k miles according to the dealership. The manager of the dealership told me if the work is not done by, "Landrover dealer it is worthless!" So my second purchase of a discovery had a warranty and the 140 point inspection. I used the dealership for service (at top dollar $73 oil change for example) and with all that I am in the same position 17 months later with the discovery II certified truck I drove for 24k miles and a estimate for a $8000 repair!

I writing to fellow owners because Landrover IS NOT standing behind a faulty motor and placing blame on me the owner. I hate to admit it but I have been taken twice. I am speechless about the position taken by Landrover North America as well as Landrover Milford, CT who I can quote as saying, "70% of our product is working fine so we do not see your Discovery II as an issue concerning Landrover." Your comment are welcome...

Old 05-06-2005, 03:22 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

not that i really know you or anyhting, but i find it hard to belevie that the cylinder walls were accually pushed out of the block due to lack of oil, twice and the owner not being responsible for it. did you not check the oil level every now and then? screw the oil plug and filter on tight enough? are you sure you put in the right oil? im sorry man it just doesnt add up. im sure the "lack of dealer maintnace" line was due to the nature of the problem.

Old 05-06-2005, 11:50 AM
4wd Low

check the oil level every now and then? once a week
screw the oil plug and filter on tight enough? yes - no leaks very clean motor
are you sure you put in the right oil? i use pennzoil 10w-40
I look after the car like a family member

I agree it does not add up to anything but a poor designed engine block which I was told by Landrover that they do "have these issues." I guess that this is the reason for writting about this situation. I follow car maintinance very closely I am a very skilled shady tree mechanic. I want other Landrover owners to be aware. I think taking pictures and dating the pictures of maintaince procedures to prove your work is needed. Video taping dealer visits might sound crazy but it will save you $8000, three weeks without your truck, enless phone calls, trying to dig up $8000, hearing "1-800" Landrover telling you they will not honor your claim because it is out of warranty by 1 thousand miles, and finally the dealer saying it is not uncommon for these cars to fail like this (head gasket or cylinder walls at 60k), the dealer does not want the car as a trade. It was refered to as a "boat weight by the service manager". I just cannot believe this type of problem, service and quality from a company I once thought of as "the best".

Old 05-06-2005, 12:09 PM
4wd Low

And lets' face it cylinder walls will fail for the following reasons:

1. no oil in block
2. no anti-freeze in the block
3. major excessive over-heating
4. faulty design

if the first three check out fine where is the justice?

Old 05-17-2005, 02:47 PM
4wd Low

Here is an update...last friday the 13th in the evening i got the car back, paid $7500, had the certified tech open the hood so can inspected the work performed (remember i was told doing yourself means nothing!) so i made the dealerships tech was present. i noticed little (almost no) antifreeze in the reserve, pointed it out to the tech who told me it was normal! the next morning after the motor cooled down there was NONE! I called the dealership who told me not to drive the car - sent a flat bed tow truck and took the car away again...????

Old 05-17-2005, 04:49 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you treat your cars like family yet you use penzoil?

Old 05-26-2005, 10:35 AM
4wd Low

Oh please mike...

Old 05-26-2005, 02:06 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mmeyer

Oh please mike...
please what, penzoil and quaker state (same oil) is junk, i would never let a drop of that in any of my engines.