Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak = dead radio

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 07:32 AM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak = dead radio

So we have had record rainfall in the Florida panhandle over the past couple of days, enough to realize that (after reviewing these forums) my sunroof drainage tubes are either blocked or disconnected. I was parked facing downhill overnite and the next morning I had water on top of my dash, a little pool of water in the pen/pencil holder on top of the dash and apparently some water made it into the radio itself. The headliner was also soaked from the left a pillar to the right a pillar along the top of the windshield. Well I turned the radio off and now it wont turn back on. I checked the fuses under the dash and they are still good. Here are my ?'s:

Where are the ends of the drain tubes located and can it be cleared with a can of compressed air?

If the tubes are disconnected, can they be reconnected without removing the headliner?

Is there a chance that my radio will dry out and start working again?

In the event that I need to replace the radio, would a aftermarket radio be compatable, or do I need to replace with LR OEM Radio?
-I would like to upgrade to SAT compatable unit but if I understand correctly, the radio is tied into the diagnostics and I am not sure that any radio is compatable.

Thanks for any input and if anyone has experienced a similar situation, I would love to hear about it.

Old 02-23-2008, 10:47 AM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts
Default RE: Water leak = dead radio

Your radio should start working again after it dries out. Leave it off for 3-4 days and see what happens.
I have not heard of the radio being connected to the ECU but with a '03 who knows.
I went to Best Buy and had a Kenwood CD/SAT/HD Radio unit put in my DI. Radios are meant to be replaced when they go bad right?
You could also check http://www.roverlandparts.com/for a factory unit.

Old 02-23-2008, 02:09 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Water leak = dead radio

I have a alpine 9883 in my 04. Sat ready, and Ipod controls. Also compatible with the steering wheel controls.

Stereo
http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...p;i=500CDA9883

Steering wheel adapter
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-VtC3xpl...p;i=127SWIJACK

Then add either an xm or sirius tuner.