Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water leak where headliner meets top of windshield

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 10:46 AM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Water leak where headliner meets top of windshield

I came out this morning and jumped in the Disco,...and it was raining inside along the edge of where the headliner meets the top of the windshield. I haven't used the sunroof in years, and its electronically disconnected. So, thinking I probably have a sunroof drain that has given up somewhere. Wondering if I have to drop the headliner completely or if I can get a look at the drains by dropping just the front section over each front door (ish). Thinking I saw a tutorial on this years ago when I had another Disco with a leak at the rear.

Brian in San Antonio

Old 11-14-2019, 10:49 AM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Or you have a windshield leak. Or the crack in the corner metal at the top of the A Pillare where the rain gutter makes the corner.

Had any recent windshield work?

Check the top external corner for gaps and fill with clear silicone if so. The rubber in that area degrades over time.

The following users liked this post:
Sixpack577 (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Or you have a windshield leak. Or the crack in the corner metal at the top of the A Pillare where the rain gutter makes the corner.

Had any recent windshield work?

Check the top external corner for gaps and fill with clear silicone if so. The rubber in that area degrades over time.
I recently removed the A pillar covers after a bad hail storm damaged them beyond repair. I will have a look at the upper corners. When you say check the top external corner for gaps,...are you talking about the rain gutters, A pillar, or windshield seal itself?

Brian

Last edited by bcolins; 11-14-2019 at 12:05 PM.
Old 11-14-2019, 12:46 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

There is a known issue of the metal seam between the actual A pillar and the roof can crack. Look for that at the top and underside of the corner of the metal part of the rain gutter where it welds to the A Pillar. Otherwise the windshield rubber seal can deteriorate at the top corner, look for that too.

I don't think the actual plastic rain gutter has anything to do with a potential leak.

Old 11-14-2019, 01:32 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 53 Likes on 40 Posts

Don't waste your time. Take off the A-pillar covers and the headliner. Use a house or a pressure washer to test:

1. The corners where the windshield meets A pillars.
2. The roofrack mounts
3. The windshield seal.
4. The front gutter areas that house the plastic raindrips

If you are putting putty here and there hoping for the best, the next rainfall may disappoint you.

The following users liked this post:
bcolins (11-14-2019)
Old 11-14-2019, 01:50 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

Check the rubber corners at the top of the windshield as well. I have attached the TSB about it

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
water_ingress_to_headliner.pdf (170.7 KB, 638 views)
The following 3 users liked this post by Richard Gallant:
bcolins (11-14-2019), Marco.C (02-26-2024), SadaJones (06-19-2022)
Old 11-14-2019, 05:49 PM
Winching

Thanks guys,.....Once the rain quits,....I'll check those areas. Appreciate the tips.

Old 11-19-2019, 12:53 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
Check the rubber corners at the top of the windshield as well. I have attached the TSB about it
Richard, I tried moving the outer rubber corner windshield trim per the Tech bulletin,...but it felt like I would probably break the now hardened rubber if I attempted to bend it back on itself as they show in the bulletin.

Old 11-19-2019, 01:16 PM
Received 1,146 Likes on 792 Posts

@bcolins in that case I would run a bead of silicone along the outside edge if the two suggestions below do not work

You can also try hot water and a rag or a blow dryer on hot the idea is to warm the rubber up alot and see if it becomes more pliable

Very hot water - almost boiling
rag on top of the rubber corner
pour hot water on the rag
Let sit for 5 or so minutes remove and see if the rubber is more pliable with heat.

Not sure if this work for you as you are in Texas and it is generally warm there but it may help

Old 11-19-2019, 02:32 PM
Mudding
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem. I removed the driver's side A-Pillar cover and found a hole about as big around as a pencil at the top of the pillar where it meets the roof. Filled it and the problem went away. The simplest fix that I've yet experienced with my truck.

Quick Reply: Water leak where headliner meets top of windshield