Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water leaking from ac compressor under passenger side?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 12:34 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water leaking from ac compressor under passenger side?

I have a 2000 disco I fixed the drain tube leaks on the sunroof and a windshield leak. after bring my car to a mechanic to install a abs sensor to the ECU under the passenger kick panel I have a leak that's dripping onto the floor mat with the a/c off when I used a hose to check for leaks. it looks like its coming from the ATC blower screws itself. there is no water on the side where the drain tube runs down only in the middle of the kick panel area from the ATC blower. I have know idea how water is coming from this area but not running along the side kick panel area. Also right before this happened besides the mechanic connecting the abs sensor to the ECU I wiggled and pushed on the ac drain rubber part under my Disco to make sure they were not clogged. Any idea's on why I have a leak that looks like its dripping from the a/c compressor on the passenger side under the glove box onto the floor? Update!! I wigged the ac drain again but did not remove them. I don't know much about the a/c unit but on another post someone said if you remover the rubber a/c drain rubber you have to replace it so I didn't remove it. Still cant understand how when using a water bottle and spraying water underneath the windshield without getting water on the windshield gasket how it gets into the ATC blower and drips through the Automatic Temperature Control blower screws?

Last edited by aftermath431; 10-11-2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old 10-11-2013, 01:11 PM
Winching
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I assume you are talking about your Condenser not your compressor. Your drain may be clogged so get underneath and pull the inside rubber piece out for cleaning. Location is just right next to the forward side of the transmission hanging out of the underbody.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:23 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

I think you mean evaporator. The condenser is in front of the radiator. That's where the compressed refrigerant is cooled to condense into a liquid. Then it is sent through an expansion valve where it evaporates and takes in energy in the form of heat. As it sucks in the heat, the outer surface of the evaporator coil is cold.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:31 PM
Mudding

Originally Posted by aftermath431
I have a 2000 disco I fixed the drain tube leaks on the sunroof and a windshield leak. after bring my car to a mechanic to install a abs sensor to the ECU under the passenger kick panel I have a leak that's dripping onto the floor mat with the a/c off when I used a hose to check for leaks. it looks like its coming from the a/c compressor screws itself. there is no water on the side where the drain tube runs down only in the middle of the kick panel area from the ac compressor screws. I have know idea how water is coming from this area but not running along the side kick panel area. Also right before this happened besides the mechanic connecting the abs sensor to the ECU I wiggled and pushed on the ac drain rubber part under my Disco to make sure they were not clogged. Any idea's on why I have a leak that looks like its dripping from the a/c compressor on the passenger side under the glove box onto the floor?
I don't know what to call the area but when I open my hood and pour water right below the black plastic that goes along the bottom of windshield that has vents. right below that onto the metal that runs horizontal water comes in looks like the a/c compressor is leasking onto the floor.

Old 10-11-2013, 01:54 PM
Mudding

under the glove box there is a thing that says ATC blower the screws on it is where the water is coming out. sorry for some reason I that it said compressor. I will remove the A/C rubber pieces and clean them to see that is the problem.

Old 10-11-2013, 02:15 PM
TReK
Received 44 Likes on 37 Posts

Evaporator - evaporates the freon and gets COLD.

The air goes thru the fins on the evaporator and the air looses temperature.
Air which loses temperature can't hold the water moisture and the moisture ends up falling off the evaporator into the enclosure and out the hose to the ground.

In essence --
this is normal, fine and expected!

water on the ground is OK.

Old 11-18-2013, 10:13 AM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, new here, my name is George. Sorry for coming straight on without proper intro, but I think I can add some clarity here whilst looking for help

I've barely owned a Disco 2 a deceptively dry week, and I have all seats and all forward carpet pulled out, shampoo'd, and drying by the fire. [if anyone's looking for Disco 2 rear seats, and a (kind of) matching pair of Disco one dickies, they're here in Ireland]

I've just been out sleuthing after my leak(s). I had someone stand outside with a rain head on a hose, systematically dousing the various forward sections of the car while I lay flat inside with my head in each footwell shining a torch and scanning for leaks.

The water, the same as aftermath has said, is coming in from around the forward nuts that hold the ATC Blower up behind the glove box.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have time to drop the motor and/or strip back the covers between the bonnet and the windshield to see wtf is going on.

In the meantime though, has anyone had any further enlightenment or success with this problem?

Will report back as soon as I know more, but any help greatly appreciated.

George

Old 11-18-2013, 12:36 PM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Shackleton

so your saying that your leak is coming from where the HVAC bolts to the firewall/bulkhead.

Old 11-18-2013, 04:25 PM
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by drowssap
Shackleton

so your saying that your leak is coming from where the HVAC bolts to the firewall/bulkhead.

Exactamundo

Old 11-19-2013, 06:34 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

good find

Quick Reply: water leaking from ac compressor under passenger side?