Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water in my tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 11:52 PM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts
Cool Water in my tail lights?

Putting supplies in the cargo area this evening and I noticed a cup worth of water inside the drivers side upper tail light housing. Is this normal or is one of my tail light seals shot? And could this eventually damage the electrical/bulbs?

Old 11-16-2012, 12:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yes on the damage to bulbs and sockets. Mine does not have water in them, plenty of recent rain. Don't know if seals are good or drains are good.

Old 11-16-2012, 12:31 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Usually if you look real close you can see cracks in the surface of the plastic, it gets oxidized and hardened by the sun and starts to crack. Yes, water will affect your lights, if you don't want to spend the money to buy new ones, you could take the assembly out and drill a small drain hole in the bottom so the water could run out, then put the assembly back into the body.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:56 AM
TReK
Received 86 Likes on 59 Posts

I did not notice any cracks, but I'll take a closer look and see what I find. Thanks for the tip, I'll consider the drain hole method for now Luckily the bulbs are still working though...

Old 11-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the exact same issue and I ended up drilling a very small hole at the bottom of the light (make sure you unmount it and do this on the inside, unless you dont mind a hole on your light!), and it worked just fine for draining, but a few months after that I notice excessive fogginess in the light, so I ended up getting a new housing after inspecting the light and realizing that the whole light had a crack through it.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 AM
Winching
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Drill baby Drill... all will be fine.

Old 11-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator
Received 95 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by TRIARII
I did not notice any cracks, but I'll take a closer look and see what I find. Thanks for the tip, I'll consider the drain hole method for now Luckily the bulbs are still working though...
If no cracks, it's possible that the last person that replaced a bulb didn't securely attach the back portion to the assembly. My 03 has some cracks, and it gets water in it, but it never fills up... usually just some droplets you can see on the lens.

Old 11-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If no cracks then take it out and really investigate if it can be fixed without adding a hole that's the best route. Making a unnecessary hole is a invitation for moisture if its a crack on inside or seal you should be able to seal it up.

If you can not see a crack you can run water over it and look for where it is making its way in threw the lens.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Drill three holes, two on the bottom, one on each side of the lens, one in the highest spot of the lens.
This allows the water to drain out and cross ventilation to prevent the lens from fogging over.
Use the smallest drill bit you can, they dont need to be big holes.
I did this to a Ford van, the corner lens filled with water, which is common on the Econoline vans.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:40 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Drill three holes, two on the bottom, one on each side of the lens, one in the highest spot of the lens.
This allows the water to drain out and cross ventilation to prevent the lens from fogging over.
Use the smallest drill bit you can, they dont need to be big holes.
I did this to a Ford van, the corner lens filled with water, which is common on the Econoline vans.
I had to do this on a Jeep. Works great.

Quick Reply: Water in my tail lights?