Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water Pump

Hey all, Recently started hearing what sounded like a bad bearing in the front of the car. (Figured it might be an idler pulley on its way out.) Popped the hood and did a visual, spotted the water pump pulley hopping a bit. Definite shaft play. Anyhow wanted to know of anything i might run into when i tackle the job, any specific brand water pump? And what size is the open end needed to remove the fan? Thank you all

Old 09-17-2013, 07:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Just did mine last week, 36mm fan and a larger fork to lock the pulley from spinning, advance or autozone will rent you the fan wrenches. It took me about 2 hrs but that included degreasing the whole from of my engine while I had it out. Pretty easy job. I got the 120 dollar one from rover parts and ordered the new bolts and belt as well.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:03 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

Many suggest and I agree, replace the clutch fan at the same time. I wouldnt want to put an older possibly out of balance fan blade on a new shaft. Should help prolong the life of the pump. Just my two cents.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

Consider replacing your pump with an Airtex pump, comes with a 2 year warranty and a solid brass impellor for longer wear.
Both British Parts of Utah and Atlantic British have it along with replacement clutch. Might also want to consider replacing your t/stat with one of the near 180 soft spring t/stat that will lower your engines operating temp. by 12 to 15 degrees.

Old 09-17-2013, 07:58 PM
Super Moderator
Received 83 Likes on 80 Posts

Amen on new clutch and new pump.

Old 09-18-2013, 08:02 PM
Three Wheeling

Will do. Thank you all

Old 09-19-2013, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

just did both as well. if not known $avings can be had on the clutch. I used 2000 chevy express van 4.3 w/o ac. it fit fine for like $40something

Old 09-19-2013, 02:32 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Disco Mike
Consider replacing your pump with an Airtex pump, comes with a 2 year warranty and a solid brass impellor for longer wear.
Both British Parts of Utah and Atlantic British have it along with replacement clutch. Might also want to consider replacing your t/stat with one of the near 180 soft spring t/stat that will lower your engines operating temp. by 12 to 15 degrees.
I think Airtex make a two different pumps:

The Airtex website, showmetheparts - Airtex Water Pumps, shows only one pump, part number AW9369. The pump in the photos have a stamped impeller.

This eBay listing show an Airtex pump with a brass impeller: Land Rover Discovery 1 2 V8 Range Rover P38 Water Pump Brass Impeller | eBay

There are differences in the castings, pulley mount material. The one with the brass impeller has numbers cast into A-02, PH-2024 and has more machining by the discharge.

I sent them a email asking for the part number for the one with the brass impeller. I will post an update when I hear back from them.

Old 09-20-2013, 06:22 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

Airtex can be bought for less, but I still would like to know what advantage a brass impeller makes?

Waterpumps do not fail because of the impeller they fail because of the bearings.

The bearing fail which causes play, which then takes out the seal and it begins leaking.

In 4 decades I have seen one water pump that actually failed because of the impeller and that was a remanufactured one the impeller had not been pressed on correctly and the impeller fell off the shaft inside the pump.

If you want a good pump look for one with needle bearing instead ball bearing,there is a Germany company on ebay that does sell a water pump that has been redesigned to use needle bearings.

if your going to spend extra money make sure you are spending it for the right reason.

Old 09-20-2013, 07:22 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is the response I got from Airtex:

I confirm you that we produce this pump (AW9369) with brass impeller.
We produce this pump in Spain for LR Service and our Airtex Spain ref. is the 1694, OE part numbers: PEB102450, STC1693, STC4378, STC4434.

Here is the airtex spain catalog - AIRTEX: AIRTEX: water and electric fuel pumps :: Water pumps catalogue
It has the 1694 part number in it.

Quick Reply: Water Pump