Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water pump or more?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 01:16 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Water pump or more?

Been losing coolant from right around the water pump area. It will only lose it when running and pressurized. I have looked all around the heads on the front and thankfully can't see any signs of leakage around them. Also, it has started to make a squeeling noise which sounds like it's coming from the water pump. Sounds like water pump may be bad, but I also get some white smoke until it warms up out of the exhaust. After a couple minutes of driving exhaust is clean. Oil and coolant look clean and no bubbles in the reservoir. The oil cap did have some moisture on it, but I also do a lot of short trips, and I've heard this could cause this. Never been overheated and head gaskets were replaced about a year ago. Is my water pump bad, or could it be more? Thanks.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:35 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like a failing water pump, do you use a ultra gauge?

Old 01-01-2013, 01:37 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a weep hole on the passenger side of the water pump just out of sight (if you have an inspection mirror you can see the weep hole). If the pump is leaking there would be coolant coming from this hole.

If the viscous fan was not replaced, I would suggest replacing this fan at the same time. Our fan when and the pump followed soon after. Many members have commented both seem to go at the same time.

2003 Discovery 132K with all high miles services complete.

Old 01-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by lr2001silver
Sounds like a failing water pump, do you use a ultra gauge?
No I got a digital temp gauge that I need to install, but I just flushed the coolant and added a bottle of water wetter. I also got a new 180F thermostat and reservoir cap. It spits coolant all over the sway bar and some on the front diff. So, is the steam thing fairly normal at start up?

Old 01-01-2013, 02:13 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by borchera
There is a weep hole on the passenger side of the water pump just out of sight (if you have an inspection mirror you can see the weep hole). If the pump is leaking there would be coolant coming from this hole.

If the viscous fan was not replaced, I would suggest replacing this fan at the same time. Our fan when and the pump followed soon after. Many members have commented both seem to go at the same time.

2003 Discovery 132K with all high miles services complete.
I just checked with an inspection mirror but couldn't find the weep hole. The pump itself is wet though, and everything above the pump is dry. Also, my viscous fan seems newer. I can spin it as hard as I can and it only moves a quarter turn. Does the fan need to be removed to get out the water pump? I changed a water pump on a 96 yukon and the that was the biggest pain of the whole job.

Old 01-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

If you grab the fan, can you wiggle it, do it feel loose on the shaft, if so, that is the water pump shaft wobble because of a bad bearing.
If you need a fan, consider an AirTex water pump from British Parts of Utah, around $146, comes with a 2 year warranty and has a solid brass impeller.

Old 01-01-2013, 04:33 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Like these guys said bad water pump.
The moisture under the oil cap is normal for repeated short trips.
The white smoke out the tail pipe is also normal for cold starts and will get worse if the exhaust never gets hot enough to evaporate all the water that is collecting in it.
It should all go away once summer hits.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:45 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
Like these guys said bad water pump.
The moisture under the oil cap is normal for repeated short trips.
The white smoke out the tail pipe is also normal for cold starts and will get worse if the exhaust never gets hot enough to evaporate all the water that is collecting in it.
It should all go away once summer hits.
I'm starting to think it could be more. After letting it warm up and driving it around for a few minutes, I returned home and checked the exhaust while idling. For about 30 seconds-nothing. Then, after that it started with faint white smoke again. It's not much, but it's there.

Old 01-01-2013, 05:49 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Does the exhaust, when white smell sweet like burning coolant?

Old 01-01-2013, 06:10 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by MC04DII
I'm starting to think it could be more. After letting it warm up and driving it around for a few minutes, I returned home and checked the exhaust while idling. For about 30 seconds-nothing. Then, after that it started with faint white smoke again. It's not much, but it's there.
But if the whole exhaust does not get hot, and I mean to hot to touch, it will never get rid of the water.
Warming up the engine and driving around the block wont do it.

Quick Reply: Water pump or more?