Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water pump replacement and overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 03:08 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water pump replacement and overheating

I just replaced the water pump on my 04' Disco S and now it is overheating. I'm not new to this Disco (owned it 5 years and do all the work myself) so I am familiar with bleeding off the air in the cooling system and have done so before with success. I bled it twice after the WP install, cold engine, elevate overflow tank, purge out air through the valve on the upper top hose. Then start it with heater on full bore until it reaches op temperature.

So here's the question, as long as I'm driving it will stick around 188 and normally at stop it won't climb over 203 (put a 180 degree thermostat in it a couple years back.) But now at stop it will climb out of that range and if it reaches 208 I shut it down if I can't drive it, like at a stop light.

With that information on it cooling down while driving, could there be any other component that is failing that coincedently happened right after the water pump replacement?

I was going to try one more time bleeding it as I know it the past attempts I had bled twice to get all the air pushed out. Also before when bleeding it, if air was still in the system, it wouldn't blow hot air which is not the case. I should also mention that I drove it for two days after the water pump replacement and had 0 problems with overheating, that's probably what is really confusing me.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:14 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Try topping it off through the bleed hole. While cold of course. Last time it took me about 4 days to get every drop of air out.

Old 07-09-2017, 03:45 PM
Mudding

I did try adding some in there although with it pouring out during the bleed process I put the screw back it while the tank is still elevated to make sure I don't suck air back in.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:44 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

just open the bleed screw in the morning, without elevating anything... If there is any air in there replace it with coolant.

Old 07-09-2017, 05:11 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 64 Likes on 53 Posts

Sounds like a bad aux fan. Stick a long screwdriver in the grill, with the truck off of course, and try to spin it. If it doesn't spin, it's shot. Also, check the 40amp fuse. Good luck.

Old 07-09-2017, 06:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 235 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmbinb
Sounds like a bad aux fan. Stick a long screwdriver in the grill, with the truck off of course, and try to spin it. If it doesn't spin, it's shot. Also, check the 40amp fuse. Good luck.
Yup!

He said that he replaced the waterpump, but didn't say that he simultaneously replaced the fan clutch.

Gotta do BOTH, not just 1!

Fan clutch is cheap on rockauto.com (no affiliation).

Old 07-10-2017, 09:44 AM
Mudding

Thanks for the help guys, did not know you had to do them at the same time. I will go with the screwdriver in the grill method and check the fuse.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:34 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by dtmbinb

1) The electric fan doesn't come on until 212 degrees or you are running the AC.
2) Why did you replace the water pump? Because of the same issues you are having now? Heats up at idle?
3) Replace the fan clutch.

Last edited by Motorhead1; 07-10-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:41 PM
Mudding

Right on the fan, just looked that up. The original reason for WP replacement was it seized up and spewing coolant. No issues before it took a crap. The aux fan does come on at 212 though.

Old 07-10-2017, 01:34 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 87 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by hankeester
Right on the fan, just looked that up. The original reason for WP replacement was it seized up and spewing coolant. No issues before it took a crap. The aux fan does come on at 212 though.

Hopefully the only time you (everyone actually) EVER hears the electric fan on a Disco is only while you are using your AC on a hot day....

Last edited by Motorhead1; 07-10-2017 at 01:37 PM.

Quick Reply: water pump replacement and overheating