Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water (?) trapped inside passenger door?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009 | 07:13 AM
|
Three Wheeling
Default Water (?) trapped inside passenger door?

I noticed yesterday that whenever i accelerate or come to a quick stop I am hearing a liquid rushing (back/forth)from the right side of my 01' vehicle. I am assuming it is water and I am also assuming it is coming from the passenger door. The best I can do is lean over while i am driving and try to listen/pinpont the source of the noise. It sounds like quite a bit . Obviously i need to figure out where it is and how to get rid of it. Today is pretty cold here in MA and Im afraid of it freezing. Does anyone have any advice or suggestions. And yes, it did rain a few days ago. Thank you in advance.

Old 12-01-2009 | 07:51 AM
Overlanding

You either have clogged a/c drains or a coolant leak somewhere. Check your a/c drains first and have your system pressure tested. If you search and browse the forum there is a lot of information on this symptom, unfortunately it often points to a blown head gasket. Try to search for the noise being under the dash, you'll find a lot more information. The noise you are hearing is probably caused by air in your heater core, the air gets in there as coolant leaks out. Bleed your system and watch your coolant level, if you overheat your problem could be a lot more expensive than a head gasket.

Old 12-01-2009 | 09:19 AM

STOP DRIVING IT and make sure you have coolant in your resovoir. sounds like you have a coolant leak.

Old 12-01-2009 | 09:35 AM
Mudding

Good tutorial on how to properly bleed cooling system is found here:

https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26352

Old 12-01-2009 | 12:45 PM
|
Three Wheeling
Default fluid seems to be under passenger side dash...

i just had someone else ride w/ me to listen to the fluid. they said it sounded more like it was coming from the passenger side dash area...good or bad? my temp level has remained the same. Someone mentioned checking the a/c drains...I have no idea how to this. I am the furthest thing from a mechanic. Any advice? Was I wrong to thing that water could have found its way in?

Old 12-01-2009 | 01:13 PM
Pro Wrench
Smile

Ok, the gurgling under the dash is MOST likely air & coolant going thru your heater core....problem is ...there shouldn't be any air....which means that most likely the coolant level is low. With engine off and cool, lift the hood and find the coolant reservoir, check the coolant level and if low, add some....get back to us here with what you find....you may need to bleed the cooling system....but one thing at a time. good luck

Old 12-01-2009 | 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by seamuspg
i just had someone else ride w/ me to listen to the fluid. they said it sounded more like it was coming from the passenger side dash area...good or bad? my temp level has remained the same. Someone mentioned checking the a/c drains...I have no idea how to this. I am the furthest thing from a mechanic. Any advice? Was I wrong to thing that water could have found its way in?

see my post above. you are low on coolant and have a leak. it has nothing to do with a/c drains or water anywhere.

Old 12-01-2009 | 01:42 PM
|
Three Wheeling

thanks for the quick response....i just went and checked the coolant reservoir...looked like a pinkish fluid in the container that says cold with some sort of tag that says OAT on it...correct? yes it seemed quite low...there was a little bit in the tank but certainly much less than half...i would say 1/4 full...now what?...will adding fluid make the fluid movement noise stop? how much should i add and what brand?...im a bit confused as to what adding more will do....also is it safe to drive to the store to get the fluid?...sorry for my lack of knowledge

Old 12-01-2009 | 02:22 PM
Rock Crawling

You're hearing the noise because there's air in your coolant lines for some reason -- generally, the same leak that made you be low on coolant.

You'll need to top-off and bleed (you'll find instructions in another post here on the forum), and then keep an eye out to see where you're leaking from.

Unless you're losing a head gasket, in which case that coolant might be steaming out the exhaust.

Now, if you top and bleed, and you *do* still hear water sloshing in the door, it might be in the door. Most cars have drain holes at the bottom of the door panel to let out water that leaks in around the window seal, but I wouldn't be surprised if Landy's don't (I'm fairly new here myself)... in which case I'm not sure how you'd drain them.

Old 12-01-2009 | 03:08 PM

Yes the OAT tag and pinkish fluid is your coolant. That coolant is called Dexcool. I’m guessing you are not mechanically inclined so I suggest you lets your truck sit overnight and refill that coolant reservoir in the morning when the engine is completely cool, buy the premixed 50/50 dexcool, do not use any green coolant you need the orange dexcool. Unless you are ready to learn how to work on your truck and save yourself some money you are going to need to find the leak and have your coolant system bled to get the air out. if you are willing to do the work yourself I suggest you download the RAVE manual and start reading up on what makes your truck tick.

Quick Reply: Water (?) trapped inside passenger door?