Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

water wetter

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:38 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default water wetter

So I changed out my t-stat from OEM to 180...HUGE drop in engine temp. Where once the Ultra Scan Gauge read 215-220 when idling with heater on, the highest reading I have obtained under same conditions with new t-stat was 200f. Also, no more infamous ticking sound. I'm sure my disco is 'bout as happy as a tick on a fat dog with lower engine temps. Anyhow...

After flushing out my radiator when replacing my t-stat, I used distilled water and green anti-freeze as a replacement. I just ordered some water wetter from Amazon.com (royal purple) and the product should arrive Thursday. However, I just read in the fine print of royal purple that it is NOT recommended to use water wetter with distilled water. No particular reason to use water wetter, other than following the commandments put forth by Disco Mike about the 60k fluid changes.

What say you jurors out there in forum land? Yea or nay on water wetter? Agree or disagree with water wetter and distilled water? A taboo?

Finally, the '03 disco has 82k miles and last time the radiator was flushed was at 52k miles, performed by the dealer and orange goop was used. I am the second owner and purchased my disco at 69k for miles.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:48 AM
Super Moderator
Received 210 Likes on 194 Posts

I use it for absolutely no reason, at all. it has never given me any results with distilled, either good or bad.
I though the concern was running just the ww and water, as it can freeze but okay with antifreeze.
but I also thought i'd be retired by now... so I could be wrong

Old 11-05-2013, 09:12 AM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by dusty1
but I also thought i'd be retired by now... so I could be wrong
Retirement ain't all that unless you got a bunch o money to fix up a Rover or something. I came back part time This is the best job I have had.No pressure

I didn't see any results with water wetter. I still pour it in there when I flush.

Old 11-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

It won't cool below threshold of thermostat. At best it makes 3 - 6 degrees change when using coolant mix. A little more with straight water. If you got a real Rover 180F stat, your temps may be in the low 180's like other members. A Motobad stat can have different and higher readings.

Old 11-05-2013, 03:01 PM
Rock Crawling

Maybe my thread was confusing. So let's try this again.

Royal purple said NOT to use water wetter for units that use distilled water. Given I used distilled water, should I avoid using water wetter as per instruction label? Why is it that Royal Purple stated not to use their product in this manner?

I do have readings mostly in high 180s, but peeking sometimes at 200. I'd wager about 80% in the high 180s with the balance being in the low 190s.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:42 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Your temps seem ok to me...

Here is off their website:

Code:
USE DIRECTIONS One 12 ounce bottle treats 12-16 quarts of water or a 50% ethylene or propylene glycol solution. In smaller cooling systems, use 4-5 caps per quart. Add directly through the cooling system fill cap into the radiator or into the overflow tank. Do not open a cooling system while hot. For best protection for aluminum, replenish or replace every 15,000 miles.
The anti-scaling ingredients in Red Line WaterWetter
® allow its use with ordinary tap water. However, using with distilled or deionized water will accomplish some scale removal in the cylinder head area. Plain water with or without WaterWetter® should not be used in cooling systems containing magnesium - antifreeze should be used with WaterWetter®. For maximum temperature reductions use the most water and the least antifreeze possible to prevent freezing in your climate.
Even in summertime the use of air-conditioning can blow freezing air through the heater and cause freezing of the heater core unless approximately 20% antifreeze is used.
Red Line WaterWetter® is available in 12 ounce containers.