Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

..:: The waterfall noise situation ::..

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 07:18 AM
Winching
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Default ..:: The waterfall noise situation ::..

Hello Roverers...

For a very long time I've experienced the "noisy waterfall" issue. I've bled my system just as the RAVE suggests, so it goes away and comes back days later.

Lately I've spent near an hour onna Saturday morning carefully bleeding it as instructed, letting all coolant drain, refill, drain, and then place everything back and off I go.

No visible coolant leaks, levels seem to hold, haven't topped-it off since last bleed.

But these past days the waterfall noise is pretty much, usually in third gear is most noticeable when revving up; yesterday did it without even moving and revving up, plus a high pitch noise, all goes away once I depressed the pedal.

Sometimes I think the waterfall noise is coming out of the gearbox rather than from behind the dash, I will just have to hear closer to rule one or the other.

Radiator does have the upper little plastic tubing where you attach the return hose broken off, so I had to JB-Weld it pretty good, although you can see it moist, I don't see a leak from it. Yes some should be sifting out through the cracks, but does not leak.

Any feedback regarding the predicament I'm in will be very much appreciated, thanks! ;-]#

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 08-18-2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

If the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, then it's not the cooling system.
Possibly a throw out bearing?

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
Hello Roverers...

For a very long time I've experienced the "noisy waterfall" issue. I've bled my system just as the RAVE suggests, so it goes away and comes back days later.

Lately I've spent near an hour onna saturday morning carefully bleeding it as instructed, letting all coolant drain, refill, drain, and then place everything back and off I go.

No visible coolant leaks, levels seem to hold, haven't topped-it off sinc last bleed.

But these past days the waterfall noise is pretty much, usually in third gear is most noticeable when revving up; yesterday did it without even moving and revving up, plus a high pitch noise, all goes away once I depressed the pedal.

Sometimes I think the waterfall noise is coming out of the gearbox rather than from behind the dash, I will just have to hear closer to rule one or the other.

Radiator does have the upper little plastic tubing where you attach the return hose broken off, so I had to JB-Weld it pretty good, although you can see it moist, I don't see a leak from it. Yes some should be sifting out through the cracks, but does not leak.

Any feedback regarding the predicament I'm in will be very much appreciated, thanks! ;-]#

The following users liked this post:
adolfojbonilla (08-18-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 04:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 151 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by adolfojbonilla
Hello Roverers...

Lately I've spent near an hour onna saturday morning carefully bleeding it as instructed, letting all coolant drain, refill, drain, and then place everything back and off I go.

No visible coolant leaks, levels seem to hold, haven't topped-it off sinc last bleed.

Aw man, you got the sickness alright. Your truck has gotten in your head! I get tht way sometimes with mine; do simple service and fix problem, problem reappears, redo simple service, problem reappears, convince myself that reappearing problem that was temporarily fixed by simple service HAS TO BE SOMETHING ELSE!!!

All signs point to your cooling system, man. The JB Weld might be a little leaky dude. Any air sucked in while the motor cools will end up in your heater core. Button that bad boy up and your waterfall will be gone forever or until another part of the crappy cooling system decides to **** the bed.

Old 08-18-2016, 05:57 PM
TReK
Received 503 Likes on 418 Posts

Clutch pedal? Adolfo, which pedal are you pushing to make the noise go away. Most of us don't have a clutch pedal.

Password could be right with that if you have a manual tranny, but if not I agree your leak may not be leaking much but it could be sucking air in. which does suck.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by drowssap
If the noise goes away when the clutch pedal is depressed, then it's not the cooling system.
Possibly a throw out bearing?
...thanks Drowssap, but keep in mind my truck is Automatic, I usually bring it down to 3rd when not driving on the highway. I bled it this morning before going to work and the waterfall noise came down to a minimum, but you can still hear it, it will get worse as days go by. So I guess my thought of it coming out of the gearbox might just be a wrong impression.

The truth is out there, and I'm still looking for it. ;-]#

Old 08-18-2016, 08:52 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Frank4
Aw man, you got the sickness alright. Your truck has gotten in your head! I get tht way sometimes with mine; do simple service and fix problem, problem reappears, redo simple service, problem reappears, convince myself that reappearing problem that was temporarily fixed by simple service HAS TO BE SOMETHING ELSE!!!

All signs point to your cooling system, man. The JB Weld might be a little leaky dude. Any air sucked in while the motor cools will end up in your heater core. Button that bad boy up and your waterfall will be gone forever or until another part of the crappy cooling system decides to **** the bed.
...LOL Frank4! ...I hear you loud and clear! I've been putting replacing the radiator for quite sometime, since I see it holding on I've chosen to fix some other issues, but I guess the time to tackle it is near; so a couple more bucks to save before getting a replacement and hopefully put "the waterfall situation" to bed, thanks! ;-]#

Old 08-18-2016, 08:53 PM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

The truth is...

You have a leak in your cooling system. After running the vehicle the system pressurizes. When you shut it down the reduction in pressure creates a vacumm pulling in air. Hence the repetitive bleading.

Buy a pressure tester, pressurize the system to 16 lbs and start looking for leaks. If it doesnt lose pressure, im wrong.

Old 08-18-2016, 09:01 PM
Winching

Originally Posted by Dave03S
Clutch pedal? Adolfo, which pedal are you pushing to make the noise go away. Most of us don't have a clutch pedal.

Password could be right with that if you have a manual tranny, but if not I agree your leak may not be leaking much but it could be sucking air in. which does suck.
...definitely Drowssap thought I meant 3rd gear as if I had a manual tranny, and suggested that; but to clarify things up, no, I do not have a manual tranny on my truck, but I regularly bring it to 3rd gear when not driving on highway. Yesterday was the first time I heard the "waterfall noises" without the truck moving, as I pressed the accelerator and revved up the engine, I heard the sloshing and a high pitch noise (like of a turbo kicking in), all went away when I stopped stepping on the pedal, shifted to 3rd and off I went, as soon as I was on the highway and shifted to D the sloshing goes away, as usual... it sometime does it on Drive, but rarely, mostly on 3rd.

As per the system being sucking air instead of leaking coolant, it all seems to point towards that. Again, I guess it's time to replace that old radiator.

Thanks! ;-]#

Old 08-18-2016, 09:10 PM
Winching

So you all have an idea, these are pics of the JB-Welded radiator, where air might be getting sucked in and causing the "waterfall issue".

This is how I received it...

After the initial fixed gave in...

After JB-Welding it...

Last edited by adolfojbonilla; 08-18-2016 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 10:10 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

that last pic is true art !!

adolfojbonilla (08-19-2016)

Quick Reply: ..:: The waterfall noise situation ::..