Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wd-40??

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:11 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wd-40??

So I was reading July's issue of LRO (Land Rover Owners International) and some guy was talking about using WD-40 on the plastic bits on his Land Rover.. I think he was talking about a Series II or III and how it blackened up the Headlight Surrounds quite well and lasted longer than any Back to Black product he has ever used.. I was thinking of finding a test patch to give this a try as the plastic bumpers have long since gone back to grey since I bought it and used the Mothers Product...

Anybody else ever use the WD-40 method??

Old 08-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Never heard of it being used for that. Let us know how it turned out.
There was a post last month where some gut sprayed his wheel well trim with bed liner and it really looked good.
I have tried a few products over the years and it has been a short term fix only.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:31 AM
TReK
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

WD-40 will eat through some types of polymers over time so yes test it first. I assume most plastics on a vehicle are going to be fairly resistant to hydrocarbons.

Old 08-08-2009, 08:33 AM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use WD-40 after I wax (the car, of course). It removes the white residue and keeps the black black longer. I like it better than Armor-all or Back To Black because, believe it or not, it doesnt make it look all artificially shiny, just clean and black. I use it on everything- mud flaps, door sills, protection bar, etc. I just spray a bunch on a paper towel and wipe away. I also use it to remove road tar and the like. I guess it's like my detailing duct tape.

Old 08-08-2009, 09:41 AM
Winching
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by whatmeworry?
I use WD-40 after I wax (the car, of course). It removes the white residue and keeps the black black longer. I like it better than Armor-all or Back To Black because, believe it or not, it doesnt make it look all artificially shiny, just clean and black. I use it on everything- mud flaps, door sills, protection bar, etc. I just spray a bunch on a paper towel and wipe away. I also use it to remove road tar and the like. I guess it's like my detailing duct tape.
Great post! I'd been wondering what to use to get the wax residue off of plastic parts. I wonder if this would also work on the corner of the canvas top on my wife's Bimmer... It's had some wax there since we bought it and has been driving me nuts! I still can't figure out why they didn't just wax the car with the top down so as not to get any on the fabric where it's so hard to remove.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:51 AM
TReK

i use ws40 on the rubber bumpers on the ferrari. it does shine and hold up well until you wash. but that is with anything.

when cleaning parts in a engine bay i also just spray away. the overspray i wipe onto the metal and plastic bits, shines and looks good and has never hurt anything.

mike, the ferraris inner fenders are coated in bedliner coating, it works great and was a easy job to do.

Old 08-08-2009, 11:53 AM
TReK

Originally Posted by Disco_Fever
Great post! I'd been wondering what to use to get the wax residue off of plastic parts. I wonder if this would also work on the corner of the canvas top on my wife's Bimmer... It's had some wax there since we bought it and has been driving me nuts! I still can't figure out why they didn't just wax the car with the top down so as not to get any on the fabric where it's so hard to remove.
if normal convert top cleaners from the parts store do not work, then go to a marine shop and get marine canvas cleaner. its made to get anything out of canvas.

Old 08-08-2009, 01:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

What is this white wax residue that you guys speak of?

Old 08-08-2009, 02:29 PM
TReK

Originally Posted by Spike555
What is this white wax residue that you guys speak of?

carnuba wax residue

Old 08-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Why do you get wax residue?