Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

weak air conditioning (ac)

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

It might be a dumb suggestion, but make sure your A/C is not set to economy mode. It's happened before.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:12 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Economy shuts the compressor off, doubt that will help him.

Old 08-01-2011, 05:21 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think he said "not" set to to economy mode Mike. Because if it is that could cause insufficient cooling.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:20 PM
cdm
Drifting

Well i drove it around today (freon is fine) and i wonder if it is related to the controller after all.

If you put it on auto or set a temperature of say 21C (i havent switched it to F after the battery change) it acts as described in the first post.

But, if you crank both sides down to LO and manually adjust the fan speed, it does chill the air to almost normal levels. In any case, a substantial improvement.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 PM
cdm
Drifting

Originally Posted by wheelgarage
As what everyone mentioned, the system needs to be gauged. Normal temp failure at idle is the condenser fan, but you mentioned that they are working. I would bet the system does not have enough freon.

I had the same issue with one of my RX7s years ago. I thought it was one of the components, but after gauging the system, it came down to not enough freon.
yes working, but whether they stay working is now becoming a suspect. should be a frigid 100 in the shade tomorrow so i'll have plenty of opportunity to sweat over the engine bay seeing what happens after its been running for a bit

Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This sounds to me like the a/c condenser fan is not working.
Mine does the same thing, I only have one condenser fan right now (DI's have 2) and as soon as I stop at a long light the a/c starts to not be so cold, start moving again and all is well.
Driving down the expressway at 65 in 95*F heat my a/c is so cold it makes the sweat on my nipple ring freeze.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:56 PM
2nd Gear
Location: From Bakersfield,Ca grew up in Las Vegas,Nv stationed @ Fort Polk,La

1st let me just say hello as this is my 1st post do not have a Disco....yet!! but its on my list have owned a 85 4'runner, 1990 Chevy K1500, 2002 Wrangler( what made me fall in love with off roading), 2001 Yukon 4x4 1996 Ford F250 Powerstroke 4x4, and drive Diffrent arrays of Military 4x4,6x6,8x8 to break and learn a thing or too about 4x4 systems.
Not real sure on Land Rovers but had a similar problem in my Yukon! after pulling apart all electronics and testing voltages and pulling apart the fan and checking freon levels high pressure switch. it turned out to be none of those simple fix was changing the cabin filter as it was clogged with debris and sand and other road grim!!!! hope this helps and its free to do if you have a air compressor you can just blow them clean

Old 08-01-2011, 11:26 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
it makes the sweat on my nipple ring freeze.

Dude! TMI !! You are just trying to get back at me for the mental image I gave you from reasons why I am in a hurry sometimes in the morning aren't you!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by timdunbar
I think he said "not" set to to economy mode Mike. Because if it is that could cause insufficient cooling.
Sorry, I missed that.

CDM, how do you know the freon is OK, be specific? It is not the control unit.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:22 PM
cdm
Drifting

A gut feeling but here we can confirm it:

1st photo is when i plugged them in tonight. looks normal, no?

2nd photo is what it levelled to after i juiced it up with freon and drained the excess. pushed the high line well into the 500s making the compressor cycle off as its supposed to due to overpressure. so i know that (pressure override) works as well.

at the same time, no change in temperature. ARGH! i had it running for an hour looking at pressure and fans and compressor engagement. all of that works. fans stay on, pressure remains stable, compressor is engaged. but the air goes from cool to cold at random. mostly cool with a few bursts of cold in between.

lines to compressor are ice cold too.

however, i did notice that the high pressure was disproportionately high to the low end. aka it seems any charge is affecting the upper limit only, not the low side.

Originally Posted by Spike555
This sounds to me like the a/c condenser fan is not working.
Mine does the same thing, I only have one condenser fan right now (DI's have 2) and as soon as I stop at a long light the a/c starts to not be so cold, start moving again and all is well.
Driving down the expressway at 65 in 95*F heat my a/c is so cold it makes the sweat on my nipple ring freeze.
Ill skip the vivid imagination of sweaty nipple ring...

that is probably next on the list of things to do to it. i need to take the current one out for size comparison though. not related to my ac conundrum as much as just wanting to get max air flow

Attached Thumbnails weak air conditioning (ac)-before.jpg   weak air conditioning (ac)-after.jpg  

Last edited by cdm; 08-03-2011 at 12:33 AM.

Quick Reply: weak air conditioning (ac)