Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weak signal from crankshaft position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:31 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Weak signal from crankshaft position sensor

Hi everybody! I only seem to come around when I need something. Hmmm

So I'm driving along a muddy lease road and I hear a slight squeak and the ultra gauge beeps. Pulli g over I can feel a slight lose of power and the m and s button are flashing. The codes are p0335 and p0336. I shut it down.

It's a little hot to check the connection. I replaced the crankshaft position sensor last winter. Never used dielectric grease! Oops. I've been running through mud and water for two days now. I'm hoping that's the issue.

I'm waiting for it to cool down so I can check that connection. What a horrible place for that connection!

When I start it, it runs. Doesn't run rough but there is a very very noticeable squeak so I shut her down right away. I'm working on a tow into town.

I know how much you guys like this stuff so I thought I'd share!

Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 PM
Mudding

The sound was more like a squeal than a squeak. It was loud.

Once she cooled down, I squeezed my hand in there and with just a slight touch off popped the connector to the crankshaft position sensor. So I cleaned it up a bit put it back together. I could get it almost together with one hand and used some big needle nose pliers to snap it together.

I fired it up and cleared the Ultragauge touble codes. The M and S light were no longer lit up. The codes on the scanner did not come back!

It was running smooth but it seemed laboured and the squeal was loud. I shut her down and walked up the road to get cell phone service and try and call for a tow.

As I was walking a bunch of wolves started howling along the side of me so I turned on the video camera on the iPhone to record the noise. That's when the phone died. I walked back to my truck. Got on the two way radio and arranged for one of the guys to pick me up.

While waiting, I decided to try and track down what exactly that squeaking squealing noise was. It would go faster when I applied the throttle. It sounded like it was the water pump? Nope. Crawling underneath it seemed to be coming from near the bottom, more on the driver's side, and near the back of the engine.

As I left it to idle and was trying to figure it out, the sound was growing more and more quiet. Then it stopped altogether!

My guess is that the crankshaft position sensor was now operating properly and it was sending the right signal to the computer. The computer took a little bit to figure things out.

Drove home perfectly. Good thing too, because in my head I was picking out the colour for my new Toyota Tundra and I really love this little Landy! I'm back in business. I'll post some photos of this mud soaked adventure in the near future.

Right after I find some dielectric grease to put in that connection. I might tape it up too.

Peace and Love everybody! Peace and love.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:49 AM
Mudding

Crap.
I started the truck this morning and the squeak/squeal was back. It went away after the engine warmed up. Temperature was 5 celcius (41 F). I'm a little concerned.

As far as I can tell, the sound is coming from the lower portion of the engine, on the driver's side, near the center/back region. But it's hard to tell.

Does anyone have any advice for pinpointing noises better?

Old 10-08-2013, 10:21 AM
Mudding

Here is the noise this morning.

Any ideas?

Old 10-08-2013, 04:35 PM
Winching
Received 43 Likes on 35 Posts

I was about to suggest belts but that sounds like some kind of high speed grinding. Please keep us posted.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:49 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CKP is either working or not... I don't think it is that. Plus it doesn't have any moving parts to it.
Do you have ACE? Sounds like a PS pump or ACE. How is your belt? Maybe your alternator, which would make sense if your M & S were flashing.

Old 10-08-2013, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Take off fan belt and repeat. Turn parts by hand for roughness. Or listen via a stick held to ear and suspect devices.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:05 PM
Mudding

The sound is definitely not coming from anywhere near the front of the engine. I got on the phone to the shop to book an appointment. He thinks it might be a seal. It seems to be coming from right around the crankshaft position sensor. Weird.

The noise is not too loud and only happens until the engine warms up, getting more and more quiet as it does so.

The alternator is strong. No Ace. No sounds from the belt. I'll investigate the power steering pump. When I get some time I will try to remove the belt.. but the sound is certainly not coming from there.

Savannah, can you clarify how to use a stick?

Thanks guys.

Old 10-10-2013, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator
Received 82 Likes on 79 Posts

Yard stick will do. Flat side to ear, touch other end to something, like alternator, power steering pump, idler pulley center bolt, etc. Solid wood conducts sound, and you hear it above the noise of the engine. Your other ear tells you if two noises are in sync. You can buy a mechanic's stethoscope, or get written approval from SWMBO for use a of spare broomstick not on flight status. Helps keep dreadlocks out of belt path. Some use a long shaft screw drive, etc.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:20 PM
Mudding

Hi Everybody!

Fall became winter and this project is a couple of days from being done. I get to go home in a day or two and she is booked into the shop Dec 18.

I was talking a while back about my squeaking noise to my shop they suspected it might be a main seal starting to deteriorate.

I have simply ignored the sound, as it goes away shortly after the engine starts, and has become less and less pronounced.

I'm looking forward to time off.

Of course, life is not that simple. I went out today to start the truck and it won't crank.

I measured the battery at 12.2 volts. A little low. I checked all connections. They are good. I checked all fuses (inside and out), they appear to be good. I switched around some of those big yellow relays.

When I try to crank it, I get a tick from under the dash, and one that appears under the center console.

There is no red immobilzer light on. Just to be sure I used my key fob to unlock and lock a bunch of times. After about 7 times I hear a little whirring sound from under the dash on the passenger side.

I tried starting it in Neutral, and even tried shifting to low range. ( I was in low range yesterday pushing through some deep snow). There is no snow or ice build up anywhere in or around the starter or under the hood.

After running in deep snow yesterday, I made two stops in this little town that I'm in before returning to the hotel. It stopped and started just fine.

I tried a couple of knocks on the starter with a big wrench.

I will get a trickle charger on it right away. I quickly had someone put the booster cables on, and got the same results. We did not let it sit for very long, but still no crank at all.

Recently, I have thrown another occasional code (ultraguage) when running down the highway. Not sure if it's related; P0734.

I will search for advice on changing out the battery. I seem to recall something about unhooking the battery can be bad.

Any ideas? Any suggestions on what to look for next?

Thanks,

1999 Discovery 2.

Quick Reply: Weak signal from crankshaft position sensor