Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird temperatures air/heat/idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:46 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird temperatures air/heat/idle

Replaced the radiator and some hoses a few months ago which got me WAY closer to temps I was comfortable with, still a bit higher than I wanted though so I was offend running heat to keep temps down, especially in the city and idling. That was keeping my temps good but as soon as spring arrived it became unbearable very quickly. The other day I ran the air as I was driving and it actually kept my highway and city temps lower than when I was running the heat, around 195, but idle temp averaged climbed a few degrees. Does that make any sense, or point to something to check out?

Thanks.

Old 05-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Winching
Received 37 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Atlrover89
Replaced the radiator and some hoses a few months ago which got me WAY closer to temps I was comfortable with, still a bit higher than I wanted though so I was offend running heat to keep temps down, especially in the city and idling. That was keeping my temps good but as soon as spring arrived it became unbearable very quickly. The other day I ran the air as I was driving and it actually kept my highway and city temps lower than when I was running the heat, around 195, but idle temp averaged climbed a few degrees. Does that make any sense, or point to something to check out?

Thanks.
I was running 212-215 before and put in the 180 t-stat. Now I run about 188-ish and idle about 195-197. I think that is the normal range if I am not mistaken. I believe lower than that would be inline thermostat, assuming system is bled thoroughly.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:21 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 246 Likes on 231 Posts

Thanks.
When you turn the air con on an electric auxiliary fan comes on. That probably lowered your Temps. I wonder whether your auxiliary fan is coming on by temperature too. It should kick in at 205 (if memory serves).

What Temps are you seeing?

Old 05-05-2016, 07:47 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

OEM thermostat opens at 179 and fully open at 204.

With the 180 thermostat I have the same at 188 ish highway and 197ish at lights.

Old 05-05-2016, 09:32 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 111 Likes on 104 Posts

Thanks.
Let me address this.
First, the condenser/aux fan doesn't do ****. When it kicks on, it does NOTHING to lower the coolant temp.
Second, I was doing the same thing that you are. I ran with the AC on high and heat cranked all the way up 24-7 and it keeps the temps down a few degrees when city driving and idle. My theory is that it distributes the pressure more evenly. As you may know, or as they say, the thermostat/cooling system is pressure based, moreso than working off of coolant temp. so anyway, that's what I have for you.
I converted the system over to the inline thermostat and I don't have to worry about driving with the AC and heat on full blast to keep my temps down a few degrees. I suggest you do the same. I max out at 189 now. Usually stays 183-185

Old 05-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Let me address this.
First, the condenser/aux fan doesn't do ****. When it kicks on, it does NOTHING to lower the coolant temp.
Second, I was doing the same thing that you are. I ran with the AC on high and heat cranked all the way up 24-7 and it keeps the temps down a few degrees when city driving and idle. My theory is that it distributes the pressure more evenly. As you may know, or as they say, the thermostat/cooling system is pressure based, moreso than working off of coolant temp. so anyway, that's what I have for you.
I converted the system over to the inline thermostat and I don't have to worry about driving with the AC and heat on full blast to keep my temps down a few degrees. I suggest you do the same. I max out at 189 now. Usually stays 183-185
Second the inline setup so easy to do and your cooling woes are over for good.

Chubbs I mentioned the AC condenser fan because when I was fooling with an electric main fan I couldn't get my engine to heat up enough (even driving) to get the main fan to kick on (at about 190) until I disconnected the condenser fan. But my rover is an anomalous turd in every regard, mostly self inflicted.

Old 05-05-2016, 10:47 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Charlie_V

Chubbs I mentioned the AC condenser fan because when I was fooling with an electric main fan I couldn't get my engine to heat up enough (even driving) to get the main fan to kick on (at about 190) until I disconnected the condenser fan. But my rover is an anomalous turd in every regard, mostly self inflicted.

that old system had me so paranoid that I never took my eyes off of the temp readout. And on top of that, I made sure my aux fan was still turning on and that's when I noticed that my coolant temps didnt come down with the smaller fan. its a joke. lack of size, power? IDK

The following users liked this post:
Atlrover89 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-05-2016, 11:07 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Charlie_V

Yes it is easy to do. It can be made even easier by not having to replace the bottom hose at all. I just joined the factory radiator hose and the thermostat hose with the loop together with a coupler! How easy can it get?

I don't like how the top portion turned-out, but I can always fix that up in Oreillys parking lot testing whatever hoses I please. I was even thinking about getting some of that stainless steel flex hose and fittings (See pic) or the clear hose with the white fibers criss-crossing it. (see more pics) but I definitely have something up my sleeve to make that install look much more professional.

Attached Thumbnails Weird temperatures air/heat/idle-hoseclear.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 11:08 AM
Pro Wrench

braided steel radiator hose is beautiful

Attached Thumbnails Weird temperatures air/heat/idle-hose3.png   Weird temperatures air/heat/idle-hose2.png   Weird temperatures air/heat/idle-hose4.png   Weird temperatures air/heat/idle-hosesteel.jpg  
Old 05-05-2016, 11:09 AM
Camel Trophy

Originally Posted by chubbs878
Yes it is easy to do. It can be made even easier by not having to replace the bottom hose at all. I just joined the factory radiator hose and the thermostat hose with the loop together with a coupler! How easy can it get?

I don't like how the top portion turned-out, but I can always fix that up in Oreillys parking lot testing whatever hoses I please. I was even thinking about getting some of that stainless steel flex hose and fittings (See pic) or the clear hose with the white fibers criss-crossing it. (see more pics) but I definitely have something up my sleeve to make that install look much more professional.
That's freaking cool! I want! Writeup!

Quick Reply: Weird temperatures air/heat/idle