Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weird things replacing transfer case and diff fluid today...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2020, 03:41 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 433 Likes on 274 Posts
Default Weird things replacing transfer case and diff fluid today...

Working on the 2004 today...

Transfer case

Unlike my 2002 that was a STRUGGLE to get the fill plug removed when I replaced it's TC fluid, this one came out rather easily. Also unlike the 2002, the drain plug location made it actually impossible to drain the TC. I didn't remember the cross member being in the way on the 2002, and sure enough, it looks like the TC on the 2004 is shifted back just a bit farther - just enough to prevent getting a 1/2" anything docked onto the plug. I'm going to have to remove the cross member to get to it, but don't have time to fuss with the rusty bolts today, so maybe next week. Is the TC drain plug being blocked off by the cross member normal? Any clever ideas short of removing the cross member? I topped it off for now with about five hefty pumps of fluid.

Differentials

Rear diff drained and filled easily, no drama. The front, however... OK a bit of backstory. The Disco makes a weird metallic noise when turning at slow speed (parking lots, for example) and decelerating. Forum searches this morning pointed to changing out the TC and diff fluids. I got this Disco in October, so I haven't baselined the fluids yet and figured it's simple enough, so went for it. So, when I drained the front diff, my gawd... I've never seen a drain plug magnet so caked with schmoo. (The 2002, in comparison, after never having it's fluid changed by the PO (at 160,000 miles) was pretty clean.) The magnet was only part of the story, the fluid itself looked like someone dumped a handful of glitter in the diff. And also a little chunk of something came out (see photo). Anyway. No chunk of gear, just an impressive amount of fillings and glitter. The fluid was dark-ish on both diffs, but holding it up to the light makes me thing the PO put Royal Purple in. I really hate that stuff, btw. It's so hard to gauge fluid cleanliness when it starts off dark purple. Anyway... I digress... any cause for concern?

Miscellaneous

While I was under the truck, I noticed what appears to be the leaking of some fluid, but based on the location, I have no idea what the heck it could be coming from. Most likely explanation is grease overflow from the rear driveshaft. Here are some photos.

This is directly under the parking brake. Close up to help show that drips are forming at the ends of the bolts.

Wider view. Transfer case at the bottom of the photo for orientation.

This is on the passenger side underneath the rear passenger seat area.

Closer view.

Cross member just barely cutting off access to the drain plug on the transfer case.

The transfer case mounts are pretty far back. Rear of truck is top of photo.

Front diff drain plug.

Another view. And this is even after wiping a bunch off.

This little piece came out on the magnet.

Another view. Looks like its a pin of some sort.

Glitter bomb in the drain pan.

Old 02-07-2020, 03:45 PM
Received 1,150 Likes on 795 Posts

@Brandon318 I think you have new diff in your future, that chunk and amount of metal is not good.

That bit looks like a roll pin not sure where it could come from though.

UPDATE check page 51-11 of the Rave there is a roll pin that holds the cross shaft in place. That might be what you have there

Last edited by Richard Gallant; 02-07-2020 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-07-2020, 04:05 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Brandon318 I think you have new diff in your future, that chunk and amount of metal is not good.

That bit looks like a roll pin not sure where it could come from though.

UPDATE check page 51-11 of the Rave there is a roll pin that holds the cross shaft in place. That might be what you have there
I saw that roll pin but I want to say it's a bit too small? Hard to estimate scale with those illustrations...

The following users liked this post:
Richard Gallant (02-07-2020)
Old 02-07-2020, 04:06 PM
Received 1,150 Likes on 795 Posts

@Brandon318 I know it is hard to say I have not had to open one up yet

Old 02-07-2020, 04:08 PM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by Richard Gallant
@Brandon318 I know it is hard to say I have not had to open one up yet
Just read through the replacement procedure, doesn't look too bad... Meh.

Old 02-07-2020, 04:46 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

Let em rip until you cant go no more!

My drain plugs looked very similar, but I've got no noise that bothers me. A little bit of gear whine from the Tcase, especially in 4Lo, but nothing crazy.

Old 02-07-2020, 06:19 PM
Received 393 Likes on 306 Posts

Your not driving around with your cdl on are you ?

Old 02-08-2020, 07:22 AM
Winching
Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I was told by nature of the traction control and life expectancy due to build design of the stock rover carriers - both front and rear are usually in similar condition.
After replacing my blown rear - i replaced front and that roll pin was in my diff oil.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by SundayFunday
I was told by nature of the traction control and life expectancy due to build design of the stock rover carriers - both front and rear are usually in similar condition.
After replacing my blown rear - i replaced front and that roll pin was in my diff oil.
So far, fortunately, that hasn't been the case and I'm hoping it remains that way? The rear drain plug had only the slightest film of glitter on it, well within the norms I've seen replacing diff fluids in the past. What causes diffs to go bad in the first place? I'm surprised being that this one had only 83,000 on it.

Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

re: Is the TC drain plug being blocked off by the cross member normal? Any clever ideas short of removing the cross member?

I have a 2003. I did not remove the cross member. I was able to gently pry the thick silver-colored insulation wrapped cable out of the way, and slid in my 1/2" ratchet. The ratchet's socket was able to get in there, although not much room. I was able to jerk the drain plug loose. Once the drain plug is loose by a 1/2 turn, I removed the ratchet as there was no room for the ratchet anymore. I then used my fingers to unscrew the drain plug the rest of the way.

Quick Reply: Weird things replacing transfer case and diff fluid today...