Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Went off roading this weekend...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2008, 07:13 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Went off roading this weekend...

Car audio is definitely a case of you get what you pay for. Go cheap and get terrible sound. Of course I would also consider upgrading the door seals so that water in the interior isn't an issue.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

The speakers are up high, if you get them wet then you have bigger things to worry about.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:17 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

haha yeah thats why i have a 1960's era sears silvertone 100 watt tube amp with a 6x10 cabinet for my guitar... yeah sometimes you gotta kick it to get it to work... but when electric guitars where made thats what they were made to sound like... the **** even goes to 11...

and since that was way off topic... www.crutchfield.com ... check them out they should have just about everything you need audio wise...

Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike, good explanation. I've taken classes on digital recording so I know all about the reduction in frequency range, etc etc. I was kinda just making a bad joke at mp3s being a poor form of digital audio

Old 11-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Team Owner

MP3's are like going to see a symphony but only have the band plays, or a football game and only half the marching band plays.
All of those instruments are there for a reason, with out all of them the music doesnt sound as full.

I used to have a Pioneer 60 watt 2-channel reciever and a Sony 4-
channel reel-to-reel tape deck that my dad brought back from Saigon, hooked up a brand new pair of Bose speakers and WOW!! Steppen Wolf never sounded so good. BTO, Hendrix,Black Sabbithand oh man, The Doors, you , oh, I miss that set up. And my Technic's turntable...Ozzy Osbourne, Bach, Beethoven, it would bring tears to your eyes it sounded so good.
The floor of the house would vibrate, forget about answering the phone, hell, you didnt even know it was ringing.
Man, those were the days.
What? I cant hear you, I am deaf now, but man was it worth it.
You kids dont even have a clue as to the real joy of music, and good music too, not this boy band crap that they play now.
When my 17 year old son started playing Guitar Hero and I would say "man I love this song", "what do you mean dad?, isint this a new song just for the game?"
I had to beat some sense into him, he likes real music now.

Old 11-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Rock Crawling

There's some good buy's on ebay for audio gear. I have had good luck with everything I have bought.

Willie

Old 11-20-2008, 07:43 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ebay is good, and a lot of people pick up some good gear for cheap, but with my luck i try not to do it... knowing how my life goes i would win an auction for a new head unit and get a head unit box with a brick in it[&o]

Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i have a technics home stereo & turn table from mid 80's, its better then BOSE! i wish they still made stereos.

Old 11-20-2008, 09:06 PM
Mudding

very few people in the US have a system with the fidelity to out resolve the quality of MP3's. People that claim that MP3's are not good are stuck in the past. I went to an Audio Engineering school and understand the technical aspects of Audio and Fidelity.. and also understand the compression used in MP3's (as well As CD's etc..).

Spike, if your ever in Colorado, please stop by and I would love to test your ears, to see if you could even tell the difference between MP3's, Vinyl, R to R etc...

matt rickman
colorado

Old 11-20-2008, 09:17 PM
Team Owner

Well we played around with the studio mix board at church one day between sevices, MP3's and CD and DAT and analog cassette, you can tell the difference with the right equipment.
We all took turns with the studio headphones switching between audio sources aithout telling one another.
I think that you are right, most people at home cant tell/dont care.
I have a great appriciation for good music, if its good I like it. I used to play trumpet in a symphonic band, nothing even comes close to the real deal.
But when I am in Colorado I will take you up on your offer, would be fun. I hear really well for a deaf guy. I always score a 90% or better on the hearing test for my DOT physical.
But then again I do know how to cheat the computer.

Quick Reply: Went off roading this weekend...