Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it about Discovery's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is it about Discovery's?

I'm new to the forum and don't own a Disco, yet. I found a custom loaded '97 locally for $3,800. I think that's an incredibly low price for a quality vehicle. I've seen similarly equipped Toyota Land Cruisers of the same year selling for $10,000 more. A guy at work just bought a Disco and loves it. I rode in it and liked it. What is it that I should know about Land Rovers? I'm not baiting you or trying to start an argument, I really want to know before I go and buy something that looks like a great deal.

Why do the values depreciate so quickly? Is it going to break down all the time? Parts falling off? Incessant electrical gremlins? Fixing things every week? I looked at the 60k mile tune up/baseline guide in the sticky's. It's pretty similar to the LC's. People love their LR's, but what's the cost of ownership like?

You should know I own a '95 Land Cruiser and love it. We are looking for a 3rd vehicle since our daughter will soon be old enough to drive. I've looked at LC's, but the resale value is double or more than the Disco's. It makes a guy think about it. So, fire away.

Last edited by Mdarius; 09-23-2009 at 05:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-23-2009, 05:47 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

This will answer 90% of your questions.
https://landroverforums.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=21328
After you read this post what other questions you have and we will be glad to help.

Old 09-23-2009, 08:09 PM
Overlanding

Thanks. So, it sounds like the D1's are the best, correct? (probably just opened Pandora's box!) Didn't see anything about the D3's.

Based on your sig line, I'd guess that the the thing left off the list is that everything leaks, right?

About how much $$ would you say people on the forum spend on just maintenance and not upgrades?

Old 09-23-2009, 08:39 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I think that DI's are better than DII's but DII guys will tell you that they are better than DI's.
Its all about personal preference.
I did not include the LR3's and LR4's because there is a separate section for them on the forum and even though I have driven both I do not know much about them.
The LR3 & 4 both have TONS of electronics that are not user serviceable.
Hell, you cannot even change your own oil on a LR4, you need a special machine that only the dealer has to do it.

How much you spend on maintenance depends on how much you drive per year.
I drive 12-15k per year and I spend less than $200 per year in maintenance.
I have spent ~$1,000 in repairs on my truck in 2.5 yrs and just over 30,000 miles.
And bringing it up to date after I bought it maybe $400.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:53 PM
TReK
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't be turned off by land rovers because they depreciate so quickly, look at it as a good thing. It means you can buy one very reasonable. A lot of luxury vehicles depreciate quickly. My other vehicle is a e46 BMW, which has been voted sedan of the year over and over. I paid about 1/4th what it cost new. I love my DII but if you plan on doing a lot of off-roading then a D1 might be a better choice because of ease to repair and less electrical components to mess up.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by Mdarius
I'm new to the forum and don't own a Disco, yet. I found a custom loaded '97 locally for $3,800. I think that's an incredibly low price for a quality vehicle. I've seen similarly equipped Toyota Land Cruisers of the same year selling for $10,000 more. A guy at work just bought a Disco and loves it. I rode in it and liked it. What is it that I should know about Land Rovers? I'm not baiting you or trying to start an argument, I really want to know before I go and buy something that looks like a great deal.

Why do the values depreciate so quickly? Is it going to break down all the time? Parts falling off? Incessant electrical gremlins? Fixing things every week? I looked at the 60k mile tune up/baseline guide in the sticky's. It's pretty similar to the LC's. People love their LR's, but what's the cost of ownership like?

You should know I own a '95 Land Cruiser and love it. We are looking for a 3rd vehicle since our daughter will soon be old enough to drive. I've looked at LC's, but the resale value is double or more than the Disco's. It makes a guy think about it. So, fire away.

A nice Land Cruiser is money in the bank...not so much for the Discovery and for good reason. Still, it depends on what you want to use it for. You can find very nice Disco's deeply discounted and with lots of love and a bit of luck you can have a good experience with them. Just realize they WILL NOT be maintenance and cost free. Personally, Ive had good luck with my Disco (relatively speaking) and I plan to keep it for a long time. You may want to keep Spike on speed dial if you decide to buy it...just kidding....no, I'm not...

Old 09-24-2009, 10:14 AM
Overlanding

Thanks for all your posts. Pondering the issue, I think I'll stick with what I know. If I buy a '97 LC, all the parts are interchangeable with my current vehicle and I have learned a lot about them in the 4 years I've owned it. Getting in to a Rover sounds like a pretty good learning curve for a front yard mechanic that's better at breaking things than fixing them.

Seems like you have a great bunch of guys here on the forum though. I'll direct my friend over here, I'm sure he'll have a good experience. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:19 AM
Overlanding

I'm not sure how you'll take this. I asked the same question on my LC forum. There are a lot of Land Rover and former Land Rover owners there. This was by far the most eloquent response I received. Thought you might appreciate it.

"A Land Rover is a super-model that is wildly interesting and gorgeous, but man, she's got issues. Crazy issues. At first the drama is almost charming, the issues are challenging, and when she actually performs, whoa daddy, she's off the chain. But she cries too much. Public breakdowns and bouts of catatonia. You willingly pay through the nose for her psychiatric care and her numerous medications and therapy sessions, to try and help her. She embarrasses you in front of your buddies and co-workers by breaking down at the worst possible times, in the worst possible places--in the middle of nowhere on summer vacation, in a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night, in the driveway the morning of your big meeting with important clients. And all without warning. She just flips a switch, blows a fuse, turns on you, goes to that dark, dark place, and you wonder what you've done to deserve all this.

You think maybe you've asked too much of her, she can't handle the stress of daily use and weekend fun, so you by a reliable little Corolla to relieve her of her daily chores, so she can rest up and save her strength for weekends and a couple weeks a year. You plan big trips, exotic locales where you two can re-connect, where she can be a beautiful gazelle again, where she can remember what it was she was born to do. But she just seems to break down twice as much, her problems compounding exponentially. She needs constant attention now. Days in hospital. You feel like you never see her anymore. She's just a collection of bills now, invoices to remind you of what you've taken on. She's still so pretty, but my God...so empty. So empty.

One day, you realize you've been with the little reliable Corolla ten times as much as your beautiful Rover. You park the car, sob a little, resign yourself to the sad facts. You have to get rid of your Rover. The tears cloud your vision, but as you wipe them away, you see a truck that reminds you a bit of your lovely Landy. She's a wagon, solid front axle, plenty of room, plenty of tire meat. She's pretty, and she looks like she's built. She's got miles on her, she's dusty, but she's not crying, no puddles of tears ring the asphalt below. She looks confident. Reliable. The Corolla points towards her, as if to say "Go. Talk to her."
"I can't."
"Sure you can. See that red sign in the window? She's available. She's looking for someone to take her. It's time to move on with your life. I can't take you all the places you want to go. But she can."
"I couldn't...I couldn't go through this pain again."
"You won't. She's not like that."
"How do you know?"
"She's my sister."

<end quote>

Old 09-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdarius
I'm not sure how you'll take this. I asked the same question on my LC forum. There are a lot of Land Rover and former Land Rover owners there. This was by far the most eloquent response I received. Thought you might appreciate it.

"A Land Rover is a super-model that is wildly interesting and gorgeous, but man, she's got issues. Crazy issues. At first the drama is almost charming, the issues are challenging, and when she actually performs, whoa daddy, she's off the chain. But she cries too much. Public breakdowns and bouts of catatonia. You willingly pay through the nose for her psychiatric care and her numerous medications and therapy sessions, to try and help her. She embarrasses you in front of your buddies and co-workers by breaking down at the worst possible times, in the worst possible places--in the middle of nowhere on summer vacation, in a bad neighborhood in the middle of the night, in the driveway the morning of your big meeting with important clients. And all without warning. She just flips a switch, blows a fuse, turns on you, goes to that dark, dark place, and you wonder what you've done to deserve all this.

You think maybe you've asked too much of her, she can't handle the stress of daily use and weekend fun, so you by a reliable little Corolla to relieve her of her daily chores, so she can rest up and save her strength for weekends and a couple weeks a year. You plan big trips, exotic locales where you two can re-connect, where she can be a beautiful gazelle again, where she can remember what it was she was born to do. But she just seems to break down twice as much, her problems compounding exponentially. She needs constant attention now. Days in hospital. You feel like you never see her anymore. She's just a collection of bills now, invoices to remind you of what you've taken on. She's still so pretty, but my God...so empty. So empty.

One day, you realize you've been with the little reliable Corolla ten times as much as your beautiful Rover. You park the car, sob a little, resign yourself to the sad facts. You have to get rid of your Rover. The tears cloud your vision, but as you wipe them away, you see a truck that reminds you a bit of your lovely Landy. She's a wagon, solid front axle, plenty of room, plenty of tire meat. She's pretty, and she looks like she's built. She's got miles on her, she's dusty, but she's not crying, no puddles of tears ring the asphalt below. She looks confident. Reliable. The Corolla points towards her, as if to say "Go. Talk to her."
"I can't."
"Sure you can. See that red sign in the window? She's available. She's looking for someone to take her. It's time to move on with your life. I can't take you all the places you want to go. But she can."
"I couldn't...I couldn't go through this pain again."
"You won't. She's not like that."
"How do you know?"
"She's my sister."

<end quote>

WOW thats is one big load of bull ****.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 AM
Mudding

Glad I'm not the only one that thought that...