Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is it about Discovery's?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2009, 10:56 AM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

douche bag alert!!!

danger will robinson danger

Old 09-24-2009, 11:09 AM
Overlanding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought that might even be the way you appreciated it. But it's pretty good BS! I take it all with a load of salt. People are biased and all you can do is try and figure out where reality is.

That's probably all I'll post. Didn't come here to stir things up. Just sharing some good humor. Good luck and maybe I'll see you on the trails. You can pull me out when I'm stuck.

Last edited by Mdarius; 09-24-2009 at 11:12 AM. Reason: update
Old 09-24-2009, 12:29 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to admit that's pretty funny and that guy has one BIG imagination...

I have a bunch of Toyota friends that will flip when I show them this, on second thought maybe I shouldn't...

I think its funny they all make fun of me for having the LR but they pay just as much (or more) for their Toy's and secretly wish they had a LR.

I almost bought a FJ40 hardtop that needed a little rust work when i bought my LR. I am glad I went with the LR for sure, and now I am probably stuck with LR for life. I really hope they sell diesels over here again someday when I am rich - LOL.

Although I have to say as soon as i can afford another extra truck I am getting a diesel defender - i just love the simplistic nature compared to this '03 disco i have, better gas mileage, and they just have that "I can do anything look".

My 2cents is get what you want (or your daughter I guess) and don't listen to much to the opinions of others (just facts).

Old 09-24-2009, 02:14 PM
Overlanding

Alright, I said I wouldn't post anymore...I lied. At the risk of being called names again...which I can't blame the guy who did it...I'll post.

Every vehicle has a list of common problems. You have to decide which problems you're willing to put up with to drive what you want to drive. LC's certainly aren't maintenance free. I like mine and I have come to know what to expect from it. I'm willing to deal with having to rebuild the birfields every 60k miles to prevent problems, and I know I'll have to replace the fan clutch at some point, I know about the persistent PO401 emissions code, etc. But I already know about all that.

I can tell that LR's would become another addiction. One addiction is enough for one paycheck, I certainly don't need 2! Love what you drive and drive what you love.

Keep the rubber side down.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Winching
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mdarius
Alright, I said I wouldn't post anymore...I lied. At the risk of being called names again...which I can't blame the guy who did it...I'll post.

Every vehicle has a list of common problems. You have to decide which problems you're willing to put up with to drive what you want to drive. LC's certainly aren't maintenance free. I like mine and I have come to know what to expect from it. I'm willing to deal with having to rebuild the birfields every 60k miles to prevent problems, and I know I'll have to replace the fan clutch at some point, I know about the persistent PO401 emissions code, etc. But I already know about all that.

I can tell that LR's would become another addiction. One addiction is enough for one paycheck, I certainly don't need 2! Love what you drive and drive what you love.

Keep the rubber side down.
I don't think anyone here was calling you names, it was probably aimed at the guy who you were quoting.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 PM
4wd Low

Originally Posted by Mdarius
Thanks. So, it sounds like the D1's are the best, correct?

About how much $$ would you say people on the forum spend on just maintenance and not upgrades?
I prefer my DII since I have it and it is a tad roomier, but I'd jump on a good DI if given the chance again.

As for dollars spent on repairs? Yikes. I bought my '02 for $11,000. I've had many of the VERY common repairs:
  • Head gasket - $2800
  • Wheel speed sensors - $400
  • Water Pump - $600
  • Brakes - $600
  • ABS unit - Rebuilt for $1500
  • Three amigo (lights on dash) - $300ish (very common)
I would like to say that's all. I would LOVE to say that's all I'll have.

I love, love, love my Disco. I would only recommend someone guy one if they really have their heart set on owning a Land Rover. Otherwise, I'd look for a good Land Cruiser or even a good condition Izuzu Trooper although those have zero sex appeal.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:50 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Ive had my Disco for almost 3 years now and had one major issue that cost $800. That happened in the first month of ownership. Since then the only money I have spent on my disco is on oil changes, basic maintenance, and a minor AC repair. Oh, and loads of accessories, but thats not a necessity. My Disco has never left me stranded anywhere. It starts every time I ask it to, and I trust it to get me where I need to go. I only own one vehicle, and thats the Disco. My driveway has no oil spots and, as of right now, doesn't leak any type of fluid (Knock on wood, knock on wood).

I know there are people on here who have had lots of problems, but usually the blame for that falls on the previous owner. Many times the issues that occur are because the person who owned it before did keep up with maintenance. If I could meet the guy who owned mine before me, I would like to shake his hand, because I can tell by how my disco runs (nearly 10 years old) its been taken care of all its life.

I would buy another disco is a heartbeat. I think if you can work on a vehicle and have the responsibility to keep up with the basic maintenance, you'll really enjoy owning a disco.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:19 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

here's my 2 cents...
rovers are high end vehicles ( especially when new ) and most of us couldnt / wouldnt afford a new one....and most, not all, but most of the buyers of these vehicles as new are more likely to lease one for only a couple of years or trade it off after 4 or so years.....these things are so durable that you could get away without doing any major service other than oil chgs or brake/tires for that long ( even though they shouldnt wait that long!!). Some of our rovers went through 2-3-4 previous owners who most likely did nothing more than they actually HAD to , and now we have them and are taking care of all the neglect....and come here to tell about it, help, and be helped. As a friend of mine told me once referring to my rover " at least the engineering is there to start with " meaning that yes-- this or that may need to be repaired but usually only once and then you've still got a great vehicle. I also own a chevy blazer with about the same miles as the DI and its a piece of C R A P !!!! (and GM wonders why they are in trouble)
The price of some of the rovers you find is seeminly low because many people may be skeered by the impending cost to repair it especially if they are depending on a local dealer or shop to do ALL the work for them. If you buy one we all here will help as much as possible to sort things out for you and make the repairs no worse than neccessarry .
Right Guys ??

and remember if it has wheels or ta-tas sooner or later it will give you problems!

Old 09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
Three Wheeling

I own 2 rovers a 97 DI with 160K miles and an 03 DII with 78K miles. Both driven daily and have never failed to get us there or back. The 97 leaks a little power steering fluid, just replaced the front seal because of slight oil leak. Both very well built and robust. Would buy another one, without any hesitation. If you take care of them and follow the maintainence schedule, they will last a long time.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:36 PM
Overlanding

Aaaa! Must...exercise...willpower! You are swaying my resolve. Here is a link to the disco I found. It's got the upgrades I would do, although it has a taller lift than I like. They are kind of narrow wheel based. I'd be concerned about roll over (not having driven one of course.)

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?sid=&ni...iew&ad=1624573