Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the best source for a new key with remote?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 06:17 PM
Winching
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default What is the best source for a new key with remote?

My orininal key has the buttons completely missing,.....and, when I bought new replacement keys and inserted the circuit board for the remote function,.....it did not work. I CAN make it work if I remove the remote opener circuit board and bridge the copper/brass contact points with a small jewelers screwdriver etc. I suspect that even though I can lock and unlock the truck with the screwdriver trick,...that I need to buy a complete new key with remote opener circuit included.

Is there a way to do this in the aftermarket, or, am I looking at spending big $$ at the dealer for a new key/remote and then, pairing it to the car?

Brian in Austin

Old 01-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Mudding
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

pairing is the issue. to pair the key you need a dealer, a automotive locksmith, a hawkeye or blackbox to do it. You can buy keys on the internet at around 150. but they have to be paired.

1-815-675-0404 is the number for a company in sugar grove il who sells keys, their tech support is awesome

Old 01-07-2014, 02:29 AM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 282 Likes on 215 Posts

I bought a used remote from Paul Grant here in the forum. It has been while... but I believe it was about $40 to $50.

I bought a spare key bank for $7.59 on Ebay here:
Land Rover Uncut Remote Key Fob Replacement Case Blade Shell Repair Button Fix | eBay

I swopped the internals from Paul's remote to the new fob case. Got the key cut at a locksmith for $3. I was able to use my Nanocom Evolution to re-program the key to my car.

You may simply have a problem with your micro-switches. Here is a replacement example on Ebay:
2 Button Remote Key Fob Case Shell for Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 V8 Repair Kits | eBay

Alternatively, you can buy a brand new fob and get it re-programmed yourself. The supplier provides you with a programming unit. You will have to return the programming unit to get your deposit returned to you:
Land Rover Discovery II 2000 - 2005 Key Fobs

Another alternative is simply to get it re-programmed at a local LR 3rd-party shop or independent dealer. It would take about 5 to 10 mins of their time.

Old 01-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

It sounds like your micro switches are completely missing. Refer to the post before mine for listing of replacement buttons.

Not sure if this is the exact remote, but the buttons are similar. Little Black Round on Silver boxes.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SWITCH-BUTTO...a090b9&vxp=mtr

Last edited by SuperSport; 01-07-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:32 AM
Winching

Yes! I knew SOMETHING was missing. I do not have any micro switches. Are these soldered on to the circuit board? I haven’t had much luck soldering circuit boards,….I seem to always melt the board and make a mess of it before I manage to successfully solder.
I’ll need some help on soldering iron/pencil selection., temp range, type of solder, flux, cleaning/prep of the board etc. before I can attempt this.
Anyone done this that can advise?
Brian

Old 01-10-2014, 07:36 AM
Winching
Default Supersport, How did you do the labels on your dash switches?

Supersport,.....I just noticed your dash switches on your signiture line. How did you do that? I need to redo all my switchgear labels on an older BMW motorcycle, wondering if this might work.

Brian

Old 01-10-2014, 09:38 AM
Pro Wrench

Originally Posted by bcolins
Supersport,.....I just noticed your dash switches on your signiture line. How did you do that? I need to redo all my switchgear labels on an older BMW motorcycle, wondering if this might work.

Brian
Those are decals. They are a thermal printed vinyl. I used to own a sign shop and have done many old car and airplane restorations. I used to screen print the buttons, labels, and panels. That was the most durable method. It can be expensive if you have someone else do the layouts and printing. I wish I was still in the business, I'd love to help...

Old 01-10-2014, 09:42 AM
Pro Wrench

PS: where do you live,? I can solder those if you're close. Or, maybe one of the geeks at Radio Shack could do it too? I happen to be one of those geeks. Sometimes, they are happy to show off their skills. Especially since the girls don't care much about soldering and Flux capacitors.

Old 01-10-2014, 02:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by acg
I bought a used remote from Paul Grant here in the forum. It has been while... but I believe it was about $40 to $50.
I bought a spare key bank for $7.59 on Ebay here:
Land Rover Uncut Remote Key Fob Replacement Case Blade Shell Repair Button Fix | eBay
I swopped the internals from Paul's remote to the new fob case. Got the key cut at a locksmith for $3. I was able to use my Nanocom Evolution to re-program the key to my car.
You may simply have a problem with your micro-switches. Here is a replacement example on Ebay:
2 Button Remote Key Fob Case Shell for Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5 V8 Repair Kits | eBay
Alternatively, you can buy a brand new fob and get it re-programmed yourself. The supplier provides you with a programming unit. You will have to return the programming unit to get your deposit returned to you:
Land Rover Discovery II 2000 - 2005 Key Fobs
Another alternative is simply to get it re-programmed at a local LR 3rd-party shop or independent dealer. It would take about 5 to 10 mins of their time.

Above is all good advice, in my experience. Repair the micro switches with kit shown above; that is all that is needed to restore them; all you need to do, I think.
If you need to reprogram it, the Nanocom will work, as indicated above. Hawkey will do same, with upgraded version 6 software to come, according to Bearmach, maker of Hawkey (personal communication with them),

Old 01-11-2014, 06:55 AM
Winching

Originally Posted by SuperSport
PS: where do you live,? I can solder those if you're close. Or, maybe one of the geeks at Radio Shack could do it too? I happen to be one of those geeks. Sometimes, they are happy to show off their skills. Especially since the girls don't care much about soldering and Flux capacitors.
I might take you up on that. I live in Austin, TX

Quick Reply: What is the best source for a new key with remote?