Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what are the best tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 06:16 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what are the best tires?

Hey i am trying to figure out what the best on road off road tires are for my 01 disco se II... I don't have a manual so i honestly don't even know what the correct size is please help... thanks guys

Old 09-23-2007, 06:19 PM
Mudding
Default RE: what are the best tires?

also i planning to drive mostly in the mountains of northern cali and winter in lake tahoe.

Old 09-23-2007, 06:32 PM
Rock Crawling

This question is more of an opinion. All my friends swear by B.F. Goodwritch and i run Goodyears on my because i will not conform. =)

With no lift i managed to fite some 265 65 16's on mine, they did cut a whole in my plastic sheild under the fender, but I don't see that a to big of a deal on account of what i use the vehicle for. a lot of people don't like that wide ofa tire, i saw a disco that had 245 on it.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:30 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Is your truck lifted, do you have CDL, are you looking for more snow on the street driving?

Old 09-23-2007, 08:03 PM
Mudding

It is not lifted. I do not have a CDL. I wont see snow for a few months, so honestly I will be looking for snow tires in december... I guess highway and off road are to be my main uses till winter... I just assisted my mechanic in changing my head gasket, oil pan, spark plugs, serp belt etc. So I am more familiar with the engine and I have been learning as much as I can so that my off roading will truly be worth while.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:16 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

Well unless you are going to a full blown snow tire then I would suggest a set of 245/75/16 BFG AT's for the best all around for you.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:04 AM
Mudding

the tires that came on it are 235/70 but tirerack.com reccomends a 255 what are the differences and why would i choose a 245 ?

Old 09-24-2007, 10:10 AM
ajh
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Going wider will reduce your traction. I have a 3" lift and went with the Firestone Destination 2 MT in LT245/75R16 and they're easily the equal of the BFG but cheaper.

Old 09-24-2007, 06:53 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

aublec, u must be trying to start s#i^!! everyone has his (or her) own opinion on tires. Best advise is, do alot of research, read blogs, forums and try to make the best choice based on your own research. Everyone's needs are different when it comes to tires. Personally I have owned Firestone M/T's, BFG A/Ts , and now have Dueler A/T. Grantedi live in florida, (a lot of sugarsand and swamp.) the BFG's were by far the worst of the three off road, but they lasted an extremely long time. The firestone were far superior off road in mud and sand, but they made a lot of noise on the road, and didn't last as long as i'd have liked. The Duelers are better than the BFGs off road, also in both mud and sand. I have only had them about a year now, but they have 25K on them and have about 75% left, (measured with amic). My BFGs lasted about 55k and i'm eager to see how the duelerswill wear forthe remainder of their life. Butthat's all just myopinion, in my circumstances and experiences. Everybody is going to have differences on this.

Old 09-24-2007, 07:56 PM
Mudding

hey thanks for all the responses and no i was not trying to start any $hit... i just wanted to get the opinons of people who actually care and are not just trying to sell me something... But now i am wondering about the 3 inch lift... is it an expensive or difficult project?? I decided to go with a cooper 255/70/16 its an all season 4ply... it will do me justice until december when i rekindle this debate on snow tires... Thanks again to all this was very helpful

Quick Reply: what are the best tires?