Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What bumper do I have?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:10 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What bumper do I have?

So I bought this disco 2 last week and it came with this bumper. I initially thought it was ARB but I don't believe that is right. Any ideas?

Old 02-27-2012, 08:24 PM
4wd Low

That looks like a Bottorf bumper. He was a pretty shady guy who ripped me off personally. It seems like his first products were decent, according to some people, but over the last year, there have been complaints that it was a pretty weak/cheap bumper. I wouldn't place any bets on using that bumper, especially since it looks to be pretty rusted already.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Not ARB...

Dunno...

Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Mudding
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cdeuso
That looks like a Bottorf bumper. He was a pretty shady guy who ripped me off personally. It seems like his first products were decent, according to some people, but over the last year, there have been complaints that it was a pretty weak/cheap bumper. I wouldn't place any bets on using that bumper, especially since it looks to be pretty rusted already.
If the bumper isn't **** quality, pull it off, sand blast it and then have it galvanized. Won't have to worry about rust then lol.

Old 02-27-2012, 08:58 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes it is a Botorffed. I Have a front one too. It looks like a early one as the side peieces do not go flat across the top. Steel rusts as would any steel bumper. Nate put about 2 quick coats of Rustoilum on the bumpers so it will not last past about 2 years before it needs a good re-coat. I bought a rear bumper from him and never received it, like many other folks. Search Bottorf on this site for the large discussion. Therefore I built my own rear bumper. Check the video in my signature.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:36 AM
Three Wheeling

the rust is just surface rust, i'm not sure if there was supposed to be a cover for the winch area but it only has 4 holes to drain water out. it seems well built. i don't know how long botorff made these for but i am thinking it was installed in 04 after a front end accident ruined the stock bumper.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

Strange how things work out, Yes Nate, that is a Butteroff and his name is also Nate.
As for that rust, you need to deal with it ASAP cause it will start to blister and then you are in trouble.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:55 PM
TReK
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Pull it off, sand it down, respray it and you'll be good to go. Be GLAD you didn't have to deal with the ******* that actually built the thing

I had good results with the Rustoleum Truck Bed liner on my winch tray. It's perfect if you want something a little more durable, and has a little extra "cool" factor.

---

Or if you don't like it, sell it!

Old 02-28-2012, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Originally Posted by nate2k5
the rust is just surface rust, i'm not sure if there was supposed to be a cover for the winch area but it only has 4 holes to drain water out. it seems well built. i don't know how long botorff made these for but i am thinking it was installed in 04 after a front end accident ruined the stock bumper.

Hopefully the boxed section isn't completely sealed with the 4 holes if those holes are for the winch mount because it sounds like it might hold water. Scuff that thing up, spray some paint on it and use it.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:45 PM
Three Wheeling

Originally Posted by HLC Fab
Hopefully the boxed section isn't completely sealed with the 4 holes if those holes are for the winch mount because it sounds like it might hold water. Scuff that thing up, spray some paint on it and use it.
it has 4 ~!/2" holes drilled for a winch so it drains fairly quickly.

anybody paint these things body color or is that a waste of time?

Quick Reply: What bumper do I have?