Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What can I really expect from Fusions and Magnecors

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Mudding
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I really expect from Fusions and Magnecors

Hey guys. This week, when I get some free time, I am going to be putting in my Bosch Fusion plugs and Magnecor wires. Just curious, what can I expect in terms of MPG from the change? What have you guys experienced?

Also, does anyone have a diagram of the wire layout.......... I've heard doing them one by one is the best policy but I'm not going to remove the intake so I would rather take all the plugs out and just start from scratch (that way I dont have the old wires in the way).

This is also my first plug change on any car............ anything I need to know. Would someone be able to suggest a socket size and extension length that is the best for taking out the plugs.

Thanks alot

Old 04-06-2008, 09:59 PM
Rock Crawling
Default RE: What can I really expect from Fusions and Magnecors

I just did mine last weekend with the Platinum 4's and magnecor, cant vouch for mpg's yet but really does run smoother and idels better and gets up and goes better, so it was worth the banged up hands. I didn't remove my Im either but had to deal with SAI so it was fun to say the least. If you serch the site there are several diagrams and drawings of the firing order and coil layout, which was a life saver to me because I just pulled them all off and looked to the diagram starting from the bottom and worked my way up. As for tools I used a 3/8 universal with a 5/6 socket with about 3' extension and about a 6' when I could manuver. Good luck and have fun.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:52 AM
TReK
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put antiseize on the plugs before you put them in and don't over toque them.
Start the plugs by hand so you do't cross thread them.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:00 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The plug change is really straight forward and really easy. As for the wires, remove them one by one and make a diagram of wich coil post they were from and to which cylinder it leads to. Then, take some masking tape and mark the hold wire and mark which cylinder they are from.Then laythat old wireon the floor, bench, or whatever you work on, and MATCH THE LENGHT with a new one. Do this with each wire and you can't go wrong. When they're all out, start putting the new ones in starting with the lower inner posts on the coil packs, then the lower outer,andwork your way up. Also make sure that all the wires are way in deep at the coil pack. This is somewhat knuckle busting, but you have to do it in order to avoid misfires due toa bad contact.

If you're doing this for better m.p.g, you just wasted that money. All you're gonna get from this upgrade, is a smoother idling and running engine and no misfires if you had any.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:16 AM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

As mentioned, one wire at a time, or pay the price.

DISCO II COIL LAYOUT

PASS. SIDE DRIVER SIDE
8 5 6 1
2 3 4 7

BOTTOM

Old 04-07-2008, 09:30 AM
Mudding

Thanks alot for the help!! I really do appreciate it. I will let you know how it goes.

Hey Darover I thought that new premium plugs and wires are supposed to help out on gas. Aren't they supposed to give you a better burn which means less fuel being wasted? Is it a wives tale? I'm going to be somewhat dissapointed if it is.

Thanks again

Old 04-07-2008, 07:30 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its sure can't hurt m.p.g, but the better fuel burning due to the better spark will be hardly noticeable. That is why I said that if the sole purpose of changing the wires and plugs was to get better m.p.g, the 0.5 m.p.g you will gain will take over a year to pay for that upgrade.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:50 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

To improve your MPG is a combination of things, plugs and wires is a good start, full synthetics everywhere, good premium gas, a light foot, cruise control, running the trans in 3rd gear when under 50mph in town, clean air filter and proper tire PSI, windows rolled up, no roof rack, no extra weight and reduced idle time.
Drive no faster than 70 mph and that will help the most.
We get 20+ on the highway, we set the cruise at 65 and just stay in the right lane. And thats with a DI.
A steady road speed with minimal RPM is the cheapest way yo save gas.

Old 04-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

I live in Colorado and now get 18 MPG at 65MPH with the a/c off. You decide if they will help, mine sure did along with a few simple side things.