Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What D2 should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:30 PM
|
6th Gear
Default What D2 should I get?

So, I am in the market for a D2. Found some sad trucks out there. Right now, I have two contenders. Should I worry about the salvaged title? I was just going to keep liability on the D2. Which one would you go with? And what would be a fair price on the red D2?

1st - 2000 D2 - 145,000 miles
-Head gaskets replaced 9,000 miles ago
-Swapped out the 4.0 and dropped a 4.6 from a RR.
-Lift
-Roof Rack and Bumpers
-Salvaged title from something hitting the hood and cracked the windshield.

https://reno.craigslist.org/cto/6217801674.html

2nd - 2001 D1 - 177,000 miles
-Unknown history
-Private car lot
-Replaced the rear bags to coils and shocks
-New radiator hoses and thermostat
-New Water pump
-Head gaskets replaced a long time ago.

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/ctd/6173367342.html

Thanks,

Mark

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:36 PM
Recovery Vehicle

First one is only worth about $1000 with a bad title, so no go unless you just like throwing away money.

Second one deleted the add so can't see any thing. But high mileage + private dealership = POS that's probably held together with duct tape and coat hangers

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:42 PM
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KingKoopa
First one is only worth about $1000 with a bad title, so no go unless you just like throwing away money.

Second one deleted the add so can't see any thing. But high mileage + private dealership = POS that's probably held together with duct tape and coat hangers
Thank you, those are good points and brought me back to reality. Back to the search I go.

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:46 PM
TReK

One method of finding a good truck I've had luck with is to first find a really good LR only indy mechanic, tell him your situation and budget and see if he knows any vehicles he has history with that are for sale.

Old 07-13-2017 | 04:55 PM
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Dave03S
One method of finding a good truck I've had luck with is to first find a really good LR only indy mechanic, tell him your situation and budget and see if he knows any vehicles he has history with that are for sale.
Thanks, I found the place here in Reno and he pointed me to the red one. One of the techs at his shop is selling the 2000 D2. However, it has a salvage titled because of some hood and windshield damage.

The 2000 has a good history and they replaced the 4.0 block with a 4.6 block from a RR. Recent head gasket job. Added the CDL and lift. I noticed the roof had oxidation. I know the D2 that the tech owns has a history of repair work.

Should I just keep up looking?

Old 07-13-2017 | 06:30 PM
Mudding

Maybe it's just me but 6k is a lot of money for a D2. I honestly wouldn't pay more than about 3.5k for a D2 unless it was well modified or was extremely well maintained. I grew up struggling to afford cars so it might just be my habits but I prefer to find a car that has a bunch of small issues I know I can fix and do the repairs myself. Save a ton of money this way and here in the Bay Area there is a ton of cars to grab parts from. Shoot me a message if you ever need any, I hit the junkyards almost every week.

Old 07-13-2017 | 07:14 PM
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Rlozano
Maybe it's just me but 6k is a lot of money for a D2. I honestly wouldn't pay more than about 3.5k for a D2 unless it was well modified or was extremely well maintained. I grew up struggling to afford cars so it might just be my habits but I prefer to find a car that has a bunch of small issues I know I can fix and do the repairs myself. Save a ton of money this way and here in the Bay Area there is a ton of cars to grab parts from. Shoot me a message if you ever need any, I hit the junkyards almost every week.
Thank you, everyone. I am not looking at the Red D2. Rlozano, I found this one. I know it is a 2003 and they had the oil pump issues. However, it would of have blown up by now. Right?

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/sby/cto/6209568892.html

What do you guys think?

Old 07-13-2017 | 07:26 PM
TReK

It looks very "dealer prepped". And that is what it is when you buy from a dealer. BUT clean/pretty does not equal good condition.... GET THE SERVICE HISTORY!
And before you pull the trigger get YOUR Indy LR mechanic to look it over. Paying for a pre-purchase inspection is the best money you will ever spend. Good Luck!

2003 Land Rover Discovery SE

Old 07-13-2017 | 07:29 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I like the tan interior and the hurricane wheels. Looks like the the body is straight. I assume the hg work still needs done soon. I would say that is worth about $2800 tops.

I have been watching prices on them and they seem to go in waves. Some crazy sob lists his for 11 k then everybody decides theirs is worth alot more. These things bluebook around 1900. I agree with a previous poster that $3500 is the max for any of them in primo condition. You will want to sell it some day.

Old 07-13-2017 | 07:33 PM
Recovery Vehicle

I know you are in Reno but look at the ones in Denver. Seems like sane prices on those lately.

Quick Reply: What D2 should I get?