Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Direction Does the Coolant Flow?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2018, 06:59 PM
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What Direction Does the Coolant Flow?

I ordered a GPI Radiator from China for $400. Inlcude's 2 fans. Remove took 6 hours total.

Can't get the fans to fit. Gave up.

Got ripped off. The Radiator mounts don't fit and the tabs are too big. China won't help. Cites 1 week return policy. Radiator also arrived with a curve. Busted out rubber mounting.

I am trying to figure out what way the collant flows ... thinking if I have the radiator at a slight tilt ... it will help with the flow ..

I wanted to order an Alli Sport and pay more for perfection. But the owner MOVES his factory to another warehouse during peak season. What kind of a nin-co-poop MOVES during peak season ?

Now I am stuck with this Chinese crap Radiator which is a Alli Sport knock off that doesn't even have the mounts and tabs correct.

So I am going to drill a hole into the bottom and cut the tabs hoping it will fit. But now I'm thinking if I tilt it .. in the direction of the flow .. this will assist it doing it's job better ..

I was getting temps of 183-190 with the old Silla .. not even sure if I should have removed it ..

Old 10-11-2018, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2,246 Likes on 1,666 Posts

Like the old saying goes “if it ain’t broke don’t fix it”.

Old 10-11-2018, 07:05 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 228 Likes on 181 Posts

Coolant flows —> that way

Old 10-11-2018, 08:39 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Got pics? I ordered one of their aluminum radiators which just showed up today. Looks in good shape, there is a slight/minute bow to the radiator core, for coming as far as it did I say it's more than acceptable. Granted our pricing was a bit different.

Oh coolant flows like this...

Old 10-11-2018, 09:31 PM
acg
Pro Wrench
Received 276 Likes on 210 Posts

I downloaded this diagram a few years ago from somewhere in the Internet. I would love to give credit to the source, but unfortunately, I do not remember where I got it.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandman614
Got pics? I ordered one of their aluminum radiators which just showed up today. Looks in good shape, there is a slight/minute bow to the radiator core, for coming as far as it did I say it's more than acceptable. Granted our pricing was a bit different.

Oh coolant flows like this...

Get it pressure tested. Mine was leak free, But the drain plug was shaky.

The mounts dont match up and the tabs are too big for the other coolers. They dont fit. The dumbass wont respond to me. they sent 2 fans but they arent big enough to my liking ...they have no shroud ,,, and they cant fit without taking out all the trans lines which is too mjuch for me and mechanic qouted 5 hours at 250 hr

no way ...

fitment issues ... I know I have to drill hole and cut the tabs off or use a screw. Total nightmare. Tries to order from Alii sport but the guy MOVES during peak shopping season and cant fill orders .... ///////i cannot think of a more bone headed decision than moving during peak season ..

Old 10-11-2018, 10:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by acg
I downloaded this diagram a few years ago from somewhere in the Internet. I would love to give credit to the source, but unfortunately, I do not remember where I got it.

ok so it goes down with gravity ... right to left .. thats what I thought ,,, so if I tilt it ....it should be better..?

Old 10-11-2018, 10:35 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 167 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by 99FLDISCOII
ok so it goes down with gravity ... right to left .. thats what I thought ,,, so if I tilt it ....it should be better..?
I don't understand your want to tilt it? The coolant is moved by the water pump, not by chance or gravity.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Sandman614
I don't understand your want to tilt it? The coolant is moved by the water pump, not by chance or gravity.
radiator has a bow. the tubes are not perfectly straight, there are also 47 tubes and allot more fins than the Stock ... hoping gravity will help the water move faster..

Old 10-12-2018, 12:00 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 848 Likes on 633 Posts

Follow the arrows...

Last edited by JUKE179r; 10-12-2018 at 02:37 AM.

Quick Reply: What Direction Does the Coolant Flow?