Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what to do about stained trim?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Winching
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default what to do about stained trim?

hey guys,

incase you haven't read, my disco caught fire and was totaled by the insurance company..

now i'm rebuilding the truck from the inside out and i'm running into a big problem, the smoke from the burned plastic has stained all of the structurally sound trim and plastic above the door panels, so the headers that hide the seat belts, alpine window trim, sunroof controls and rear upper gate trim WILL NOT COME CLEAN... doesn't matter what i use they wont come back to their original color!!

further more my orginal tan seats were also stained to i bought new black seats, and i'm adding tan to them to give that two tone look:
DSC00348.jpg?t=1257373868

Also the headliner is going to be painted black with rubber bed coating so i was thinking , what color should the trim above the your shoulder height be, i can make it any color (black to match the headliner, or tan to match the seats) i saw hilltoppers post about his headliner and the black and cream contrast of his trim peices but mine must be recolored to be used so should i go black or tan ?

hilltopers headliner/trim:

or

Old 11-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I told you this will cost more than you thought.
You will need to replace all the smoke damaged parts, including the rear view mirror.
The compass and auto dimming inside the mirror are ruined, the trim is ruined.
Sorry to be a jerk, but I told you so.

I think you should use tan, it will help brighten up the interior.

I guy in my church group used to work at a fire and water restoration place and he says that you can never get the smoke damage out, it will be there for years and years, and during the hot and humid summer days...it will smell like it just happened yesterday.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:13 PM
Winching

well man what can i say except YOU ARE NOT HERE!!!

i've cleaned all of the dash and windshield, and there is no permanent damage to anything near the dash rear view mirror is fine!!!!

i know your trying to help.. i and others appreciate all comments !!!

i was thinking tan also, gonna spray the alpines in tan tommorow with my gun, i'll let ya know how it turns out

Old 11-04-2009, 08:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I cant wait to see pics when it is all said and done.

I will go away now.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:27 PM
Winching

i value your imput, you are a huge help to all of us on this board, and i know the original pics look bad, but this truck is cleaning up real good!!! just gotta do the trim !!!

got the headliner out

Old 11-04-2009, 08:52 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 91 Likes on 82 Posts

hey there ! things are progressing nicely. Having said that though, in the past I've been asked to try to repair smoke damage to plastic parts on atv's, and sleds and such and...Spike's right, that stuff is almost uncleanable. Other than replace the parts, your best bet IMO is to go to your local auto parts store and buy some "plastic & trim paint". duplicolor has some that matches the beige pretty well....hey you were going to paint some of the stuff anyway right ? I bought a used black underseat trim and painted it and it looked so good I painted the other side.

and how did you change the color of the seats, recover them ?

Old 11-04-2009, 09:23 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paint all the plastic--if you scrub them up so there is no gloss, the paint will take--it will take a bit of TLC--but hey you didn't want the easy way out. Don't buy and replace what you don't need to--just take the time to paint it right and save your $ there.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:03 AM
Winching

exactly... the trim isnt burned to a crisp... its just not the right color anymore, i;m great at painting..... i'm gonna make this work.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

you can also paint all the trim. you already have the 2 tone seats you are doing so why not do the headliner in black? everyone that gets in my truck really likes it and **** i don't even have anything else in black. its just a cool contrast with the oh **** handles and the nets being beige still. i say just do the headliner black but if you want you can do all the A bars, trim and handles black. the only think i would see being a pain would be the cargo netting. good luck man.

Old 11-05-2009, 07:17 AM
Winching

i can change the cargo netting, its removable !!!

Quick Reply: what to do about stained trim?