Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What to do with rust?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2009, 07:27 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What to do with rust?

The second DII I bought recently came from NH and therefore has quite some rust on the bottom. Being in California, we are hardly ever confronted with this brown metal eating phenomenon. So my questions is for the people that deal with rust. How can I stop it? I will probably need to replace some parts (AT cooling lines and oil sump), but I can't replace the whole bottom of the car... OME Springs are rusty, Diffs and axles have some minor spots, exhaust, ... I mean everything that could have rust has either some or a lot. The body of the car is pristine, so is the inside. The engine bay is also pretty clean, except at the exhaust. Is there something that can be sprayed over that will stop the rust and be Rover worthy? Should I try to get it all off and put something over it then? Just spoiled and not familiar with rust...

Thanks guys!

Old 04-29-2009, 08:11 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Well living in West Michigan my whole life I can tell you that rust is cancer for cars, the only way to stop it is to remove it.
Remove the cancer and then quit smoking and then no more cancer right?
So you removed it from the "smoking gun", so the rust will not progress.
The axles, dont worry about them.
The exhaust dont worry about it until it goes bad, then replace it.
The frame, again, no worries.
The body, grind it down to bare metal and then repaint it, a body shoop will know what to do as well as match the paint.

This is why it is so very important to get a full service car wash come spring time, hand washing in the driveway will no remove the road salt from the undercarragie of your car and your frame, brake lines, fuel lines etc. will rust into oblivion.

My dad used to work in a body shop and my son is in tech school for auto body.

Old 04-29-2009, 08:41 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Just another reason not to buy a vehicle from the east coast. Next used vehicle I buy will come from Arizona.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AK Rover
Just another reason not to buy a vehicle from the east coast. Next used vehicle I buy will come from Arizona.
That is why here "southern" cars fetch a premium price.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:10 PM
Rock Crawling

Yeah, I was not too happy when the car got delivered. The pictures I received before buying were concealing... Aside from the bottom rust no complaints. The 60K had not been done, so I am taking care of that right now. Lots of build up... The throttle body was brown... Anyway, I will get it in top shape in no time again, but I don't want the rust to continue. The sliders are coming off and will be blasted and either powder coated or Rhino lined.

Old 04-30-2009, 09:38 AM
Winching
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is almost impossible to get a rust free car where I live. The only thing I know that can prevent rust is an oil treatment you can get once a year for 100$. And then, when you work on your car you get a lot more dirty than you would normally.

Old 04-30-2009, 01:06 PM
Rock Crawling

I get dirty enough as it is... A great way to get rid of old shirts though! I guess I will just have to deal with it...

Old 04-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my rovers keep themselves coated thoroughly with grease and oil all by themselves...

Old 04-30-2009, 04:10 PM
Rock Crawling

And that is exactly why I get dirty enough already...

I started to consider (canned) Rhino Lining on some parts. What do you guys think? Obviously you could not put that on everything, but the axles, diffs, sliders etc...

Old 04-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Team Owner

If youi close the holes in the frame then it will rust from the inside out.
The axles are NOT going to rust through, the oil pan, scrap it and rattle can it.
All you need to worry about is the body, the rust will stop everywhere else because you removed the road salt and it will no longer see road salt.
So unless you are driving it in salt water, like along the beach, you have nothing to worry about.

Quick Reply: What to do with rust?