Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What do these lights mean?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 08:38 PM
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do these lights mean?

I turned on my car and on my dashboard two green lights started flashing. The "M" and "S" that look like they are in sprockets as well as the light on the shifter. I drove it home this way (about 15 miles). I think it was pretty difficult to accelerate from a full stop (required me to punch the gas a little more).

On a side note, sometimes when I turn on my car I cannot get it out of Park. I have to press and releases the brake several times until it finally allows me to shift. I've noticed that when it doesn't allow me to shift, the brake lights don't turn on. So I'm guessing the car isn't registering that I'm pressing the brakes, thus no brake lights and not allowing me to shift out of park.

Old 11-15-2010, 08:48 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 84 Likes on 73 Posts

You most likely have a charging system issue: battery or alternator going out. You can take it to most auto parts stores and have the alternator and battery checked on the vehicle for free. With the 'M' and 'S' lights flashing, you are probably in 'limp-in' mode, where the transmission is only in third gear, which explains the difficulty starting from a stop.

Old 11-15-2010, 09:01 PM
Mudding

Per manual:

If both the Manual and Sport mode lights flash together, this indicates an electrical fault with the automatic gearbox. If the lights continue flashing after the vehicle has been brought to a halt and the starter switch has been turned off and then on again, you should seek qualified assistance urgently.

Good luck...

Old 11-15-2010, 09:03 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Low battery voltage to the transmission computer.
As already stated have your battery and alternator checked out.

Old 11-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Administrator
Received 101 Likes on 83 Posts

Then once it is fixed, sit down and read your owners manual, cover to cover 2 times so you know what not to do in the future.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:32 PM
4wd Low

I went to Auto Zone and they said my battery was bad and I need a new one. They didn't test the alternator because they said it might show a problem incorrectly since the battery isn't working properly.

So I'm going to buy the battery first and hope that solves my problems. Is this one fine:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._176362_11966_

Old 11-17-2010, 07:34 PM
Overlanding
Default I had similar codes a few months back

The same thing happened to me. However, my battery checked out fine. Next idea was the selector switch on the side of the transmission. I ordered one, but I have not put it on. Here's why:

When my M and S lights started flashing, I noticed that it occurred when I was moving the selector from Park to Drive. The lights would flash, I'd shut everything down, and most of the time I could get going again without the flashing, at least for the next little trip or two.

I crawled up under my Land Rover to figure out how to replace that switch on the side of the transmission. It looked possible, but a bit of a pain. I also noticed water on the switch. It looked to me like the air conditioner drain runs right on that switch. As a last ditch effort, I soaked it down with WD40 (to displace moisture), then back in the Rover, moved the shifter several times from Park all way back to Low- through the full range.

Since then I've had no problem at all. I have a brand new switch (xyz switch I think it is called) but have not had to install it.

Hope this helps. Jeff