Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does Gear 4 ratio Incorrect mean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 12:41 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What does Gear 4 ratio Incorrect mean?

I just replaced my front drive shaft with a Tom Woods custom and now I am getting a P0734 code saying that the gear 4 ratio is incorrect (coincidence?). I am also getting two Catalyst Efficiency below threshold codes but I think those are from the oxygen censors in the catalytic convertor. Please help.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:27 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What does Gear 4 ratio Incorrect mean?

i got the 4th gear ratio code when my MAF was going out. I replaced the O2's, cleared the misfire issues but i still had the gear ratio code. That was fixed with new MAF. FYI dont try and clean the old one it will damage it. It could be a completely different issue, that was just how mine panned out.

I dont know if the drive shaft would give 4th gear errors or not.

Old 04-15-2008, 03:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Did you get a new MAF sensor and how much did that run you? Is this something that needs to be fixed soon or can it wait until I have money? I really don't know much about rover mechanics so I'm worried about neglected problems turning into expensive ordeals. Thanks.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i want to say it was around 125. i think i got it from roverconnection.com or somewhere like that. Im not saying yours is bad, i can only speculate. I would wait to throw any parts at it.

I am kinda in the same money situation. You could always clear the codes and see if the same ones keep coming back, and how often. Thats what i do, at least till i get my next paycheck. I keep the ODII reader in the glove box.

Your o2s might need replacement also. i think they are due every 60k, someone correct me if im wrong.

all fourO2's and the MAF can be replaced easily if you are mechanically inclined at all.

Old 04-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How do you clear the codes? I am not mechanically inclined in any way but I have a good shop within walking distance to my house so that probably saves me money as I usually get the parts, tear the thing apart and pay someone else to fix what I screwed up (runs in the family, you should see me fix a toliet... **** everywhere and me pissed off!) So DIY is pretty much out of the question. Thanks for your help!!

Old 04-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Who is telling you what code you have? They can clear the code with their scanner.
Read the post from the other day on "buying disco failed emissions", it is on the second page, same problem different symptoms.
A MAF is a easy fix. And yes it can wait till you have more money to replace it yourself.
When it gets really bad the trk just wont go faster than like 40 mph.
Links to new MAF's are in the other post.

Old 04-15-2008, 05:23 PM
Recovery Vehicle

You might have a point about the wrong codes... the guy at advanced auto parts was kind of a D Bag and pretty much just threw the computer at me after I explained I have never hooked one up before. It took 10 min and a phone call to the dealer before I found the plug in and even then it was pushed back into the dash and hidden. I set the machine to ford something or another and those codesarewhat it spewed out. The engine light only stays on a couple of days and then disappears so i was just trying to catch it with it on. I haven't had any problems driving on or off road so I guess I will reset it and see what happens. Thanks for the input!

Old 04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
Administrator
Received 100 Likes on 82 Posts

ORIGINAL: salve7

I just replaced my front drive shaft with a Tom Woods custom and now I am getting a P0734 code saying that the gear 4 ratio is incorrect (coincidence?). I am also getting two Catalyst Efficiency below threshold codes but I think those are from the oxygen censors in the catalytic convertor. Please help.
What are the exact codes you got, they make all the difference when trying to find the problem?

Old 04-15-2008, 06:14 PM
Recovery Vehicle

P0734; P0420; P0430 are the codes that came up.

Old 04-15-2008, 06:59 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

BUT, are those Ford codes or LR codes?

Quick Reply: What does Gear 4 ratio Incorrect mean?