Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What does Gear 4 ratio Incorrect mean?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 07:13 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What does Gear 4 ratio Incorrect mean?

Those were the codes it gave me without saying what vehicle it was for on the comp. The print out I have says ford so does that mean that those codes are worthless? How would I get the LR codes... Do I need a different computer or are they all the same. These are really the first problems I've had with my disco so I am learning as I go.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:19 PM
Administrator
Received 103 Likes on 85 Posts

I haven't seen those codes for a long time, not the usual codes for a MAF. How many miles on this truck, what octane gas are you using?

Old 04-15-2008, 07:32 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

There are generic codes and brand specfic codes. Just because Ford owned your year of LR doesnt mean that they used Ford codes. It was still made by LR in England, Ford just owned the brand but the brand still did its own thing.
Go back and have the codes read again but make sure that this time they enter LR into the scanner. The codes may come back the same but at least you will know for sure that they are LR codes.
A Ford code in a LR maymean somethingdifferent than a Ford code in a Ford.

Old 04-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

as long as you dont have a massive vacuum leak(loud hissing under the hoodwhen the car is running) then it is the MAFS. not only does it screw up the fuel calculations, but also the engine load value, kind of what takes the place of a kick down on an old car, and lets the trans knowits cool to hit 4th gear. its very easy to replace. make sure you get the right one, 2 different ones for that car. after you replace it, take it to the dealer, have them clear codes and reset your throttle adaptions, both in engine and trans. shouldnt cost much, just make sure you tell them you dont want diag, just cleared and reset.

[/align]

Old 04-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well, I jiggled the MAF and the associated wiring and the codes cleared and so apparently there is no problem. I appreciate the advice about the code readings, like I said the man at the store just threw the computer at me so I had no clue what I was even doing as far as entering the information. I'm sure it will show back up so I will probably continue posting when it does. Thanks again!

Old 04-16-2008, 07:47 PM
Camel Trophy
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: Spike555

Who is telling you what code you have? They can clear the code with their scanner.
Read the post from the other day on "buying disco failed emissions", it is on the second page, same problem different symptoms.
A MAF is a easy fix. And yes it can wait till you have more money to replace it yourself.
When it gets really bad the trk just wont go faster than like 40 mph.
Links to new MAF's are in the other post.
Dude, what are you talking about? anything that starts with P0XXX is a generic code not specific to any make or model. Means the same thing no matter what spits it out. A P1XXX code is specific to the manufacturer. The definition changes with the maker. There is no such thing as a Ford code in a Land Rover.

Old 04-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

I never said that there was a Ford code in his Rover. The guy with the scanner put Ford as the manufature when he plugged it into his Rover.
What I was saying is that there are generic codes AND brand specific codes and that if you enter the wrong manufature into the scanner you might get the wrong codes.
i.e. if the scanner thinks that it is plugged into a Ford it might spit out Ford codes and not Rover codes because it thinks that it is plugged into a Ford.

Old 04-17-2008, 03:25 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Well to be honest, like I said I have never done diagnostics myself so I am probably not going to be the best at even telling you what I did. When I was scrolling down the options it didn't have a LR option, nor did I just see a general setting. Is it possible that it doesn't read LRs at all? It was at advanced auto parts. Has anyone ever used there computer before? OKDISCOGUY said that themake specific codes are P1**** is there anyway to know you are getting the right readings just from the first couple of numbers, is there a code within the code? (That's deep man)

Old 04-17-2008, 08:04 PM
Pro Wrench
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

theyre generic codes from a generic scanner, dont worry about that. what you need to do is find out if your mass air is reading bad, or if youre sucking air that it never sees. replace the mafs or find your vac. leak.

[/align]

Old 04-18-2008, 02:31 PM
Recovery Vehicle

How would I be able to tell other than there being a hissing noise? Right now thecel is off and it is running smooth. I appreciate all the help considering I'm not able to give good answers to your questions. I have one more question and it may be obvious/ stupid but what does OEM mean?

Quick Reply: What does Gear 4 ratio Incorrect mean?