Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else should I swap out when replacing the engine in my DII?

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2018, 12:46 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Weird.. I wasn't able to use the 'thank you' button with everyone that responded so I'll say it now - thank you

Yes..would go with long block.
Hadn't thought of coil packs - good idea.
Motor mounts - hadn't even thought of that Brian.. thank you!
Ultragauge.. will definitely look into that.
Will purchase new radiator, power steering pump, viscous clutch again (replaced five years ago) water pump and will have entire cooling system replaced.
I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even know what a flex plate is I'll dig out the Rave and study it prior to picking this stuff up.

I'll probably just buy the parts online (using your recommendations, thank you) and supply them to the mechanic who will swap out the engine.

I think this is going to be a year long project and some dough. I'm excited though - is that strange? The thought of being able to drive her home and not have any drips on the driveway for awhile will be refreshing to say the least. No, I don't have a lot of cash to burn but I would like to keep Bertha for as long as possible and keep her running right. Ten to 15 more years would be divine. I love her simplicity. Her finicky ways drive me crazy but I love the head room and view, I like how I sit up higher, and how safe I feel when she gets me through every storm in the winter. My dentist surprised me this past June and said 'I know when you're here because your vehicle is different. When I see it out in the parking lot I say 'oh hey... Christina is here''. I like that.. is that weird? I like it when a complete stranger asks me in the store 'are you the one that owns the Blue Discovery on the Peninsula? - I see you all the time'. I love the conversations she starts at gas stations. I love that she still has a tape deck. I love the fact that I can go almost anywhere.. down 2 track roads, through the woods and swamp at the family cottage to toting whatever I can cram into her at an auction or estate sale.

You know you're attached when there's a thunderstorm at night and it's pouring cats and dogs and you wake up and say out loud 'oh poor Bertha'. She has a leak on her windshield area that I need to caulk - I can't even imagine what the headliner looks like

I really appreciate all of the input from you guys and will make a list of things that may need replacing with the engine swap. I assume this will be the route I'll take and will definitely keep you posted on what I end up doing

edit: got the thank you button to work
I think we all get exactly what you mean! haha. No, its not strange. My other car is a Lotus Elise, so all those stories pretty much apply as well for that little guy (except for the storm ability and high riding position).

I am super excited for both of us to get our new engines in!

Last edited by Jason_B; 08-26-2018 at 01:12 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (08-26-2018)
Old 08-26-2018, 04:16 AM
Baja
Received 718 Likes on 623 Posts

If you are serious about eliminating leaks, you should have your transfer case sealed at the same time.

if you are going all in...

Old 08-26-2018, 05:47 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Hi KD, don't ever feel embarrassed, many haven't a clue what a flex plate is or it's true purpose. It bolts to the auto torque converter and alternately the flywheel and has a reputation for fracturing if the D2 is driven hard or offroaded, it's actually a spring steel shock absorber. They sell a heavy duty flex plate for using mainly offroad.

https://www.roverparts.com/Parts/FTC4607

Old 08-26-2018, 06:40 AM
Received 313 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason_B
I think we all get exactly what you mean! haha. No, its not strange. My other car is a Lotus Elise, so all those stories pretty much apply as well for that little guy (except for the storm ability and high riding position).

I am super excited for both of us to get our new engines in!
I need to pull a Freaky Friday with Jason_B. Let’s see a pic of the Lotus!

Old 08-26-2018, 07:03 AM
Received 368 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover

Yep, I enjoyed my Gold Leaf Lotus Elan and a pal owned a Lotus Elise in the 60's. The only issue with Lotus is they used farm hands to assemble them when they had no work and the fibre glass was rubbish albeit the engine was a real twin cam flyer, I was fortunate as mine was a Cosworth prepared engine on two large twin Weber carbs.

Old 08-26-2018, 07:05 AM
Camel Trophy
Received 1,189 Likes on 850 Posts

Rovers North is having their calendar photo contest...you should send that picture in. They want photos with no pavement or man made structures...LR's in the wild.

Brian.

Old 08-26-2018, 11:57 AM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by CollieRover

My other British car

Old 08-26-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jason_B
My other British car

Awesome! I’d love to restore a ‘60’s or ‘80’s lotus. I have always had a soft spot for them since small engines class, and we got extra credit for reading car mags.

Old 08-26-2018, 01:55 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by The Deputy
Rovers North is having their calendar photo contest...you should send that picture in. They want photos with no pavement or man made structures...LR's in the wild.
Brian.
She could be 'Ms. December?' Wow.. wait until she hears that! That will perk her up a bit - hey, she'd settle for Ms. January and everyone knows what a bad rap January gets

Transfer case is on the list Abran, thanks for the tip. I currently have a leak there so yes, definitely will get done.

Thanks for the link Offroad! Will definitely look into it and put it on the list.

Nice Lotus Jason B.. I know a guy in town here that is as passionate about his bright yellow Lotus as you are yours I think I prefer the orange I'll be following your thread - your engine is set to arrive tomorrow, right? So exciting!

I updated my other thread today. Stopped by during visiting hours to see Bertha this morning. Her oil pan bolts are tucked in a ziplock bag and sitting on the shifter. She wasn't too happy.

Old 08-27-2018, 07:06 AM

Make sure they dismantle the rocker covers and clean them out. I am looking at doing the Fram308 PCL valve mod, the LH side with the baffle was completely caked with oils oil, and I am thinking it may have blown my rear seal on install. You don’t want that!!

Jason_B (09-05-2018)

Quick Reply: What else should I swap out when replacing the engine in my DII?