Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What else should I swap out when replacing the engine in my DII?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2018, 05:40 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

How is the process coming?

The following users liked this post:
KernowDiscovery (09-06-2018)
Old 09-06-2018, 10:11 AM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 115 Likes on 89 Posts

Slow haha.

thanks for asking I just received the diagnosis on Bertha's condition and am waiting on quotes. It turned out to be the front cover/oil pump that is leaking coolant. The intake manifold is also leaking oil fairly good. Mulling over my options as I know the engine is old but the Rover runs ok (just leaks everywhere). The shop I'm working with is replacing an engine in a 2004 and going with the engine from Atlantic British. I asked if they had worked with Turner at all and he said 'no'. I'm still entertaining Turner rather than AB or an LS swap.

How is the swap going on your Rover? I can't believe you got the engine so fast! That's great!

Christina

Old 09-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Winching
Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by KernowDiscovery
Slow haha.

thanks for asking I just received the diagnosis on Bertha's condition and am waiting on quotes. It turned out to be the front cover/oil pump that is leaking coolant. The intake manifold is also leaking oil fairly good. Mulling over my options as I know the engine is old but the Rover runs ok (just leaks everywhere). The shop I'm working with is replacing an engine in a 2004 and going with the engine from Atlantic British. I asked if they had worked with Turner at all and he said 'no'. I'm still entertaining Turner rather than AB or an LS swap.

How is the swap going on your Rover? I can't believe you got the engine so fast! That's great!

Christina
Haha, yeah it is a slow process, thats for sure. Oh, thats interesting, so you may not need the whole motor swap? Yeah, if you can get her back on her feet for less than a couple grand, it might be worth it. It is costly to do the swap, new engine, and replace all the stuff that was mentioned in this thread.

Yeah, it is interesting regarding the Atlantic British vs Turner thing. My mechanic was also suggesting the AB engines and said he has used many of them with no issues. Also, he said he had not used Turner before. This is at odds with everyone on the internet, who says AB is a unknown and everyone recommends that you use Turner or else!! In all honestly, I think the AB engines are probably pretty good and the mechanics here in the US have a good relationship with them, which makes warranty clams and little issues not so bad.

I decided to go with Turner for a few reasons. (1) 'According to the internet' (dangerous phrase) they are the most reliable and proven. They only make these Rover V8s so I imagine that they have some lessons learned by now. Also as you search the forums there are many engine builders that have come and gone. Not saying AB is going away, but who knows. (2) AB would not give me an additional warranty on their engine or block and Turner comes with a 3 year warranty on their block. (3) There is a story where someone had trouble with the AB motor and AB refused to talk to him much and would only talk to the mechanic. (4) The Turner engine comes with some upgraded cams and heads for more power.

I will say, all of these reasons are pretty minor, and I think AB probably makes a good engine and people in the US would be happy with it. However, I figure I am probably only going to order an engine for a vehicle at most a few times in my life, so I wanted to take my time and get the one I wanted even if it takes a little longer. Honestly, the Mechanic I have been working with has been amazing. He is really enthusiastic and totally willing to take the longer time to have the engine ordered from the UK. My vehicle has been at his shop for months. I am really grateful and the (hopeful) success of this project will be in large part owed to him. Nick at Exclusive British European is the man! Many thanks!

The LS swap would be great but in CA where I am, I could never pass smog and it would not be street legal. I had a modded Subaru that was in the same boat and I am appreciating have vehicles that are 100% legit, even though it is probably not that big of a deal. I think the next time this Land Rover needs a new power plant, I will go full electric! Hopefully that will be in 15 years there will be some awesome cheap electric kits ready to be dropped in .

Hope you enjoyed the essay!