Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gas/brand do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:43 PM
Drifting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, so I'm buying this 99 from my uncle, who uses 87 on it, and has for 10k miles, There is no pinging what so ever... I'm gonna be buying it from him next week, I'll start using premium again.. do you all think there is irreparable damage? Seems fine.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:28 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just do an induction, throttle body, idle solenoid and can of seafoam in the tank. change the plugs too.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Drifting

Um... Sorry lipadj46, I don't understand what u just said. Sorry I'm not the most technical guy... I can have my mech do it, If you'd be so kind as to tell me more in detail what to do.. Do you mean clean the throttle body change the idle selenoid and change plugs? and then do a seafoam additive??

Old 08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

An induction cleaning involves hooking up a can of seafoam to the vacuum line on your throttle body plenum and letting it trickle in as the car is running (like a slow drip IV). Then you drive like a madman with smoke billowing from your exhaust. This will clean your upper engine from all the crap from using the low octane gas. You really nee to use premium it says so right on the gas tank door. This is not a vette where premium is optional. Have your uncle knock some cash off the price for the price of the cleaning and new plugs.

The throttle body and idle solenoid cleaning look a the stickies on the front page. Also you may want to upgrade to 8mm magnecor wires (from Apex performance) and rebuild the driveshaft. Unless you have a decent amount of disposable income you should get ready for some DIY action. Download the Rave CD and start reading the shop manual.

Old 08-19-2009, 01:52 PM
Rock Crawling

Originally Posted by Spike555
I get better mpg when I use Shell, BP or Marathon (a MI company)

MMMM this could be wrong (now) but, I never heard who owns Shell, BP as the name states is British Petroleum, and Marathon is the name of a shell (not Shell) company in Canada thats owned by a few rich folks in England

Anyways - all I use or try to anyway is Chevron of which Texaco is part of. I also run full synthetic's in everything it'll fit in. When we first got our Disco it ran good but had some funkyness to the way it sounded at warm up - we have always run it on at least 91 (station dependent) and now, and especially since the addition of synthetic motor oil it runs real smooth and consistently idles at 750

I do think I change my o2's before winter - just to know they are good and before it gets cold and too crappy to work outdoors in.

Robert

Old 08-19-2009, 02:04 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i run chevron because its the closest place to my house (i live 15 miles down a dead end road to the gulf of mexico) and its been pretty OK price wise i think its like 2.87 a gallon now....

Old 08-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Drifting

Thanks lipadj46. I just spoke to one of my really good friends, anyway, his brother writes service at Land Rover here in LA, I called him because I wanted his opinion on these rigs, and told him about the forum, and some of the issues that come up for example the front drive shaft, and use of premium fuel. He told me to bring it in, and He'd check it out for me, for free!!! nice.. He said the drive shaft, was only an issue, with off-roaders, and that normal driving would not adversely impact it. Fuel, he said, that the factory states premium, and I should use it. Nice guy though...

Old 08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
Recovery Vehicle
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have a 95 disco sittin at a friends house with a shattered front driveshaft, and it looks like it has never seen any off roading... best bet is to have the driveshaft built with greaseable U-joints just to be safe

Old 08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
Recovery Vehicle

Alrover, whether or not you do any off roading I highly recommend rebuilding the driveshaft regardless. Even if you have some one else do it it won't cost more than $200, and there is still a good chance of it failing and taking out your transmission with it if you don't do it.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:19 PM
Drifting

yeah, I hear yah guys, I guess it's better to be safe than sorry, Yah, DOn't want to buy a new tranny!!!

Quick Reply: What gas/brand do you use?