Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What gas/brand do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Night Train
MMMM this could be wrong (now) but, I never heard who owns Shell, BP as the name states is British Petroleum, and Marathon is the name of a shell (not Shell) company in Canada thats owned by a few rich folks in England

Anyways - all I use or try to anyway is Chevron of which Texaco is part of. I also run full synthetic's in everything it'll fit in. When we first got our Disco it ran good but had some funkyness to the way it sounded at warm up - we have always run it on at least 91 (station dependent) and now, and especially since the addition of synthetic motor oil it runs real smooth and consistently idles at 750

I do think I change my o2's before winter - just to know they are good and before it gets cold and too crappy to work outdoors in.

Robert

Shell Petroleum is a Dutch company.
BP is British Petrleum, they also own Castrol oil.
Marathon, I thought was a MI company but maybe not, I dont see them any where but Michigan and their refinery is in Detroit.
But I could be wrong on who owns them, if someone can figure it out I am open to correction.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I only use premium from Quick Trip, Exxon and Chevron. QT always has the best price. Today it was 2.68.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:31 PM
TReK
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Spike555
Marathon, I thought was a MI company but maybe not, I dont see them any where but Michigan and their refinery is in Detroit.
But I could be wrong on who owns them, if someone can figure it out I am open to correction.

We have Marathons around NC and SC, they are rare, but ive been a handfull on vacations and such. They are only in 17 states and they start up in MI and come down through the east coast (minus a few states) and go as deep as TN.

Old 08-19-2009, 08:06 PM
Team Owner
Received 95 Likes on 72 Posts

Their TV commercials say "An American company serving America"
So 17 states, all right then.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:59 PM
Three Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spike was close -Marathon is a major oil company, began in Findlay, Ohio and is now based in Houston where a real American Oil Company should be. Seven U.S. refineries and world-wide exploration and production operations.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:43 PM
TReK
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Marathon is actually based out of Texas but has operations all over the world. They were a customer for the oil field company I worked for so I had to go through their orientation/safety training.

I usually use Shell premium because it gives me the best power and mileage and is the closest gas station to my house. I have run all grades of fuel through my Rover and it just drinks it down and keeps going without a complaint the way a Rover should.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:13 AM
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I guess i'm the only one that uses Hess 93... Johnny 5 seems to enjoy it.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:25 PM
Rock Crawling

Their TV commercials say "An American company serving America"
So 17 states, all right then.

Yeah, kinda like Harley's huh

Theres a difference between usta was and still is. I lived in Northern Maine for a good bit and we had Marathons there and in Canada. Been to Quebec a few times and they are there also. Spike, although I can be, I'm not trying to be a ***** here, just passing on what I've seen.

Cheers

Robert

Old 08-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

87 octane gas burns hotter than premium gas BUT premium gas has more power per gallon.
Premium also does not ignite as easily as regular so it will not burn until the spark plug sets it off.
Slight correction. Premium fuel actually has slightly less energy content per gallon than lower octane fuel. The rest is spot on- the retarded ignition timing indeed more than offsets the additional energy that lower octane fuel contains to prevent pre-ignition damage.

Wait...ok...one more thing. Detonation and pre-ignition are 2 different things. Pre-ignition is what happens with low octane fuel and would be heard as a ping if not for the knock sensor on the engine retarding the timing. Detonation is a horse of a different color. It's usually caused by a damaged spark plug or protruding heli-coil tab in the spark plug boss that is thin enough to get red hot during operation. It can cause the fuel to ignite even when the piston is just beginning its upward travel. Detonation can blow a hole in the top of a piston no problem.

Dave

Last edited by geotrash; 08-20-2009 at 11:33 PM.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:23 AM
Three Wheeling

I reformed my wicked 87 ways too. I figured if my Ford Triton OHC v8's and v10's ran on 87 why not the Rover. The switch to a full tank of Chevron 91 proved to make a difference in drivability that you can feel using the seat of your pants dyno.

Quick Reply: What gas/brand do you use?