Discovery II Talk about the Land Rover Discovery II within.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of leak?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:48 PM
Rock Crawling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What kind of leak?

A little detective work for you CSI fanatics.

I have an '03 Disco with 72k miles, second owner for about 2 months. When I first took possesion, there were minimal or almost no leaks. About six weeks ago, I did an oil change, and used Royal Purple with the K&N 3001 oil filter. Performed a motor oil engine flush just before the oil change. Basic oil change, did not remove the oil pan. Also, since I purchased an aftermarket warranty, I took the rover to the dealer to get some additional work done. Specifically, they replaced the steering box. They said there was a leak and it needed to be replaced (did this about a month ago)

So here's the deal:

For about 10 days now, I have had a steady oil leak. Just can't pinpoint if it is an oil leak or some other kind of fluid leak. It is steady, and much steader than the leak I had when I first took possesion of the Disco. Though not an exact science, my oil level doesn't seem to have changed much; meaning I have lost some oil, but when checking the dip stick twice daily, the oil level is in betwween the two hash marks on the oil level dip stick. There seems to be some small drips from the oil filter, but doesn't seem to be in the amount that registers on my garage floor. What is rather unique is the color of the oil on the dip stick is light brown. But what is on my garage floor is almost transparent...almost has a green tint to it I think. The drip is centralized to the driver's side only, located right above the steering damper; meaning the oil seems to be dripping on top of the steering damper.

That's it fellas. Nothing more. I don't do any off-roading are anything of the sort. All other fluid levels seem to be ok; washer level, brake and radiator fluid seems to be in check. Header gaskets seem to be ok...weeps a little, but not nearly enough to make the mess that is on my garage floor. Plus, when weeping, just doesn't look fresh. Maybe because the engine runs so hot that some oil is burned off? I'm really a novice here, so can't impress too many folks with my automotive lingo. Just tell me what to look for and I'll find it using the RAVE manual.

Finally, I could always take it to the dealer (I do have that warranty you know) and get their take on it, but figured I check here first.

Any thoughts?
Rob

Old 04-08-2013, 02:44 PM
Winching

Sounds like power steering fluid to me. The steering gear, pump and all the lines are on the drivers side of the truck. But without looking at it, this is only a guess.

Old 04-09-2013, 04:51 AM
Rock Crawling

Did a little gum-shoe work per your advice. Looks as though there is a leak in the power steering assembly. Not sure if the leak is from the steering box that the dealer put in, or the PAS assembly. I have no fluid lose, so maybe the steering box. Taking it to the dealer this a.m. (Tuesday) and we'll see what happens.

Thanks,
Rob

Old 04-09-2013, 05:53 AM
Rock Crawling
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Check your throttle body heater. Mine is seeping a bit and it's very small dot of clear / green fluid in the garage. It drains down and somehow gets to the bottom of my oil pan, then drips to the floor. Touch it to your finger and see if it smells sweet.

Dave

Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Ghaniba
Touch it to your finger and see if it smells sweet.
I would recommend learning the smell of different fluids. Owning a Disco, you will likely run into all of them at some point. Just dab your finger into each and take a whiff. They have distinct smells. Gear Oil, Trans Fluid, Brake Fluid, Coolant, etc... They all smell different and you can sometimes tell, JUST by the smell, what it is. Feel and color help too. Eventually, it becomes second nature knowing what smell it is even if you have not seen the leak yet.

Also, burnt fluids have a different smell, but until you've smelled those, it may be hard to figure out what fluid you are smelling.

I know, I must sound like a Dog, getting up in my car's tailpipes...

Old 04-09-2013, 11:13 AM
Baja
Received 317 Likes on 311 Posts

line the bottom of your car with newspaper when you park and see what color it is. brown, red, clear, orange, green?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Administrator
Received 99 Likes on 81 Posts

First, bad seals are not covered under after market warrantys unless included with a failing part, so don't get your hopes up yet.
Second, go to your local do it yourself car wash with a can of H.D. Gunk engine degreaser and clean your entire engine, top and bottom so if and when you have a leak, you can find it quickly.
As already mentioned, you do need to be able to tell the type of fluid leak by color or smell.
Let us know what you find and start looking for another shop, other then the dealer, who will break your piggy bank in a hurry.

Old 04-12-2013, 05:47 AM
Rock Crawling

So it turns out I had a leaking steering pump.

My extended warranty took care of it, as well as a window regulator.

Thanks everyone,
Rob

Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM
Pro Wrench
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

Wouldn't it be nice if EVERY LR came with one of those warranties!